PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question, but I really don't know...

Kristin
02-01-2009, 12:45 AM
When you buy a new plant do you take the plast bucket off of the bottom? I know it is a stupid question but i am not sure. Thanks for any help.

marnold
02-01-2009, 12:55 AM
I do!I remove the plastic pot then cut away the potting material till i get roots.Then I plant it.

Kristin
02-01-2009, 01:12 AM
i have heard that they need nutrients, do you know what to get them.

marnold
02-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Depends on the plant but root tabs work good on most.

Eddie
02-01-2009, 01:18 AM
What kind of plant is it? If it an Anubias type, you can just attach it to something like a rock, driftwood or whatever until it roots itself around it. It can also be free floating.

Eddie

Kristin
02-01-2009, 01:26 AM
we have two amazon swords and a little patch of baby :confused:something. I cant remember the name. sorry

Wahter
02-01-2009, 01:29 AM
You will want to remove the pot and the wool material surrounding the roots. The wool material actually is often saturated with fertilizers to keep the plant growing at the farm. Here's a video clip on how to plant various plants (although I don't think you would need to remove so many outer leaves on the sword / Echinodorus plants as the video shows). Just make sure you don't bury the crown of the plant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44cDbR2YvK4#

Hope that helps,

Walter

Kristin
02-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Thank you so much for the youtube clip, it answered all of my questions about planting plants. Great advice. Thanks.

Kristin
02-01-2009, 02:16 AM
If I decide to do a BB tank, can I still have plants?

Eddie
02-01-2009, 02:20 AM
If I decide to do a BB tank, can I still have plants?

Yes, you can pot them in pots with substrate. You can use fertilizer tabs or even flourite with gravel on top. Many hobbyists do it and it does look nice.

See thread

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68250

Eddie :)

Kristin
02-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Thank you! you are going to be my new best friend on this site:D

Kristin
02-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Teracotta pots ok?

Eddie
02-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Teracotta pots ok?

Yup, they are perfect...:D

Eddie

Kristin
02-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Cool, Thank you so much for putting up with my newbie questions! I am set now.

Eddie
02-01-2009, 02:35 AM
Cool, Thank you so much for putting up with my newbie questions! I am set now.

No problem, you have to start somewhere right. ;)

Glad to be of help,

Eddie

Kristin
02-01-2009, 02:37 AM
Do you ever get to come back to the states?

Eddie
02-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Do you ever get to come back to the states?

Yeah, I am here now....I am stuck in flipping Seattle waiting to get my return flight tomorrow morning. I was in Sacramento for a business conference and my flight diverted for weather yesterday. No planes landed but flights took off. Needless to say my connecting flight to Tokyo took off....:(

So I've been stuck in this fancy Marriot next to SEATAC airport, glued to the computer. LOL

Eddie

Kristin
02-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Man Eddie that sucks, where i am at we have almost two feet on the ground, i hate it when weather causes problems.

Eddie
02-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Man Eddie that sucks, where i am at we have almost two feet on the ground, i hate it when weather causes problems.

I know, me too. I was supposed to be arriving home in the evening yesterday since it's 1 day ahead over there. :( I miss the wife and kids.....they have the flu and I am not sick. I need to get home to take of them....:(

Eddie

Kristin
02-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Good Luck getting home fast but safe!! Hope the family gets well soon. flu sucks!!:( Thanks again for all your help, I am full of great info now. It is late here. good night. see ya on the forum later.;) Peace

Eddie
02-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Good Luck getting home fast but safe!! Hope the family gets well soon. flu sucks!!:( Thanks again for all your help, I am full of great info now. It is late here. good night. see ya on the forum later.;) Peace

Thanks Kristin, see you

Eddie

rickztahone
02-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Eddie, who's doing your WC's while your away?

Eddie
02-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Eddie, who's doing your WC's while your away?

Check this out Ricardo, slowed down on the feeding the week prior. Asked the wife to feed the fish once in the morning everyday while I am gone. They are all stuffed in my 55 BB tank with floating Anubias. The wife says the fish are doing fantastic. Not one WC for 7 days, bet they are going crazy! Trust me...the first thing I do when I get home is going to be a 50% WC and then in the morning I'll be doing a 100% to get the schedule back...;)

Thats how you have to do it. There are 14 Discus in the 55....14! And they are all fine. Happier than a bunch of hippos. I'm sure they are hungrier than some Alligators though...:D

Eddie

rickztahone
02-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Check this out Ricardo, slowed down on the feeding the week prior. Asked the wife to feed the fish once in the morning everyday while I am gone. They are all stuffed in my 55 BB tank with floating Anubias. The wife says the fish are doing fantastic. Not one WC for 7 days, bet they are going crazy! Trust me...the first thing I do when I get home is going to be a 50% WC and then in the morning I'll be doing a 100% to get the schedule back...;)

Thats how you have to do it. There are 14 Discus in the 55....14! And they are all fine. Happier than a bunch of hippos. I'm sure they are hungrier than some Alligators though...:D

Eddie

lol, i was wondering who was holding down the fort over there. you should have taught her how to test the water for the readings. 14 in the 55 might change a lot of things ya know? btw what are you doing up this time? you SD junkie

Eddie
02-01-2009, 04:46 AM
lol, i was wondering who was holding down the fort over there. you should have taught her how to test the water for the readings. 14 in the 55 might change a lot of things ya know? btw what are you doing up this time? you SD junkie

Can't sleep, sleep schedule is all out of wack. I slept 12 hours last night....woke up at noon today so now I'm not tired at all! GGRRRR :mad:

Yeah, 14 of them guys....they'll be fine. Might hinder the inch a month growth on the BDs but I will still have 19 days when I get back to put'em back in training camp! ;)

Eddoe