PDA

View Full Version : Corys dieing off

cyberhog05
02-01-2009, 06:38 AM
I am wondering what has happened. First off my Peppered corys laid eggs, Now I have had 3 die in the last couple days. they are all chewed up. They have all had their tail fins chewed off(before they are dead). Is it possible that the SAE's are taking out my corys 1 by 1? They are true SAE's I quadruple checked and identified them. Can corys go mid evil on each other?

My water has tested out good, It is 75deg. There is 6 more corys doing fine. But they have all been eating like pigs. BNP and SAE's are doing good also. I havnt noticed any odd behavior other than the SAE's cruising around the tank like kids with ADD. Any suggestions? I have never really had a problem with fish dying!

Temp-75.7
PH-7.4
Nitrate-0
nitrite-0
Amon-0

Eddie
02-01-2009, 07:32 AM
I am wondering what has happened. First off my Peppered corys laid eggs, Now I have had 3 die in the last couple days. they are all chewed up. They have all had their tail fins chewed off(before they are dead). Is it possible that the SAE's are taking out my corys 1 by 1? They are true SAE's I quadruple checked and identified them. Can corys go mid evil on each other?

My water has tested out good, It is 75deg. There is 6 more corys doing fine. But they have all been eating like pigs. BNP and SAE's are doing good also. I havnt noticed any odd behavior other than the SAE's cruising around the tank like kids with ADD. Any suggestions? I have never really had a problem with fish dying!

Temp-75.7
PH-7.4
Nitrate-0
nitrite-0
Amon-0

Could it be that they are dying off and then the others are eating on them???

Do you notice the fins getting torn up over the course of a few days?

Eddie

cyberhog05
02-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Its quite odd! I will see all of them one afternoon when I feed, then later that day ill see one that is swimming funny and his tail fin is down to the flesh. All the other fins are fine. It has been the same on all of them. It has also been the largest fish of the school. They also have very slow deaths. 4-5hrs long. I feel bad for them. I did some reading on them and it seems they can breath by taking in surface air into there intestines. The article I read said if they do this a lot that means the water quality is poor. Well after watching them for a few hours I didnt notice them surfacing at all. I did a 50% wc, in fact I just got done doing it. It was time for a WC so I figured now is a good a time as any. I am feeding frozen bloodworms and sinking shrimp pellets.

On a lighter note there is a ton of babies swimming around that I had not noticed yet. I had just seen a few the other day. I counted about 30 of them. A couple are much larger than the obvious newer ones. I know they wont make it but it is still kinda cool to see them cruising on the bottom darting from plant to plant and back to dark spots.

Eddie
02-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Thats great about the babies but not cool about the deaths. I am :confused:. I know another member posted a few months back with similar issues. I will try to search for it and shoot you the link. It was almost exactly your situation. The cories fins were getting completely eaten off by maybe other fish or a parasite. I'll see what I can find.

Hope it takes a turn for the better, sorry to hear the news but thats super cool about the babies.

Eddie