PDA

View Full Version : Is Monthly medicating necessary?

Dischris
02-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Is it really necessary to treat for worms once a month? If so, what do I use, and for how long? Are there any other routine medications that I should be giving my fish?

FLGirl1977
02-01-2009, 11:32 PM
No... but you will get differing opinions of this... but it is not a necessity.

poconogal
02-01-2009, 11:56 PM
No, there's no need to routinely medicate your fish. They can become resistant to the medications you're using and then, if you REALLY need that med, it will be useless. Also, why medicate for things are are not there? Sort of like taking an aspirin each night in case you might get a headache. With good water conditons and good food your Discus should not need meds.

Discus-Hans
02-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Is it really necessary to treat for worms once a month? If so, what do I use, and for how long? Are there any other routine medications that I should be giving my fish?

Is it really necessary to take every Friday 3 Ibuprofen because maybe with Christmas you're going to get drunk and have a headache the next morning?????

I hope that answers your question,

Hans

Eddie
02-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Hey Hans....I take 3 every friday for my hangovers LOL

Eddie

Discus-Hans
02-02-2009, 03:46 AM
That's why you're so $cr&%$wed up lol lol lol

Hans

Eddie
02-02-2009, 03:47 AM
That's why you're so $cr&%$wed up lol lol lol

Hans

:laugh:

You know it......

Take care Hans

Eddie

Dischris
02-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! I figured it was unnecessary BUT figured I would consult the professionals(you guys). A person that works at the LFS told me the other day that I shouldn't be changing my water so often when I told her that I am doing 50% WC's every day now(her reasoning being that you guys have BB tanks, not gravel - I have a 1/2" of gravel in my tank). Then she proceeded to tell me that 84-85F is too high of a temp for my discus....IMO I think SHE was too high! :D

poconogal
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey Hans....I take 3 every friday for my hangovers LOL

Eddie
Eddie, but you're taking them for the hangover, not in anticipation of your hangover! LOL! :D

poconogal
02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! I figured it was unnecessary BUT figured I would consult the professionals(you guys). A person that works at the LFS told me the other day that I shouldn't be changing my water so often when I told her that I am doing 50% WC's every day now(her reasoning being that you guys have BB tanks, not gravel - I have a 1/2" of gravel in my tank). Then she proceeded to tell me that 84-85F is too high of a temp for my discus....IMO I the SHE was too high! :D
You'll find that most LFS people know little to nothing about Discus. In fact, IME many know little to nothing about fish! Really, when it comes to Discus, I wouldn't listen to anyone in an LFS.

Roxanne
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
....IMO I the SHE was too high! :D

Makes you glad you found Simply doesn't it?:)
Rox

Dischris
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Makes you glad you found Simply doesn't it?:)
Rox

Si, estoy muy contento!

scottthomas
02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I had a LFS guy tell me just yesterday that my daily water changes would kill my fish because it would ruin my biological filtration. lol He only changes water on his stunted discus once a month. I tried to politely tell him they were stunted and why but he got mad so I left.

Roxanne
02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
haha, snap! Mine asked why I was doing water changes before medicating?:D