PDA

View Full Version : Male doesn't want to fertilize eggs

8discus
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Have a bit of a situation here.

Have a solid blue female and solid blue male in a 125 g aquarium - they are blocked off in a 2' x 2' section of the 6' tank by a screen, so they get privacy from the other males. They have bred 3 times so far, but no fertilized eggs yet. (The male has bred with another female previously, but do not have the female now)
Read on this forum to leave the night light as one of the parents kept eating the eggs at night. Now I have the eggs uneaten, but after the 2nd day they all turn white - unfertilized..!

Tried breeding the female with another male - snakeskin, but I think he was too immature and would guard the territory with his life, but just watch as she laid the eggs.

Any tips guys...? Also, I have 7 males (blue, snakeskins, pigeon blood, red) and 1 female. all 2 yrs old and 6.5"+ in size...maybe willing to trade a couple of males for females.

mmorris
02-02-2009, 06:18 PM
When the male bred with another female, did the eggs hatch? What is the tds of your water? Temp? Can they see through the screen?

8discus
02-03-2009, 05:19 PM
"mmorris" - see he had bred with the earlier female only once.
The screen is a net as you can see in the pic, so they can somewhat see, but not that clearly.
Here are a couple of pics

8discus
02-03-2009, 05:23 PM

mmorris
02-03-2009, 05:51 PM
When the male bred with another female, did the eggs hatch? What is the tds of your water? Temp?

:)

8discus
02-04-2009, 12:36 AM
oops, got carried away with getting the darn pics on. Well, didn't get to the stage of the eggs hatching. It was a long time back, but I think someone ate the eggs, and didn't get a 2nd round of breeding, before I traded that pigeon blood female for the current solid blue one.

Will get the water parameters tomorrow from Petland :)

mmorris
02-04-2009, 05:04 PM
OK, so there's no evidence yet that the male is fertile, or that he is, in fact, a male. Water stats might help. What is your wc regime? How old is the male?