PDA

View Full Version : Planted discus tank

rwong2k
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello All,

I've done some research in keeping discus in planted aquariums and i've seen people post as a general rule not to go over 3 watts/gallon

I currently own about 3.5 ~ 4" discus, but I would like them in my planted tank, obviously not scared and swimming freely, but what would be the max. recommended watts/gallon ( i know this is a pretty vague rule) to keep the discus happy in a planted tank

Hope the question makes sense

thank-you
Raymond

Eddie
02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Dude, if your fish can handle it, put the sun right over there head. They will be fine but why would want more light? 3 to 4 watts per gallon is pretty sufficient.

Eddie

Harriett
02-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Jeez, 3-4 wpg is PLENTY of light to grow just about anything I can think of. I assume this is a high tech tank with CO2 and ferts? Otherwise, you will be growing more than discus, me thinks! LOL
Best of luck, Harriett

Dude, if your fish can handle it, put the sun right over there head. They will be fine but why would want more light? 3 to 4 watts per gallon is pretty sufficient.

Eddie

GrillMaster
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
As Harriet mentioned if you wanna do 3 + wpg ya need c02! no ifs, ands, or buts... :)

philip69285
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Thatswhy I went with 2W per gallon heheh.... still goo amount of light but no need for co2 hehehe and my plants are doing awsome :).

rwong2k
02-05-2009, 02:07 AM
true, even with 2 wpg it benefits from co2,

anyways thanks for the response, i'm running a very high light tank with co2 and ferts, or well i'm mainly a planted tank person just getting back into discus

thanks

raymond