PDA

View Full Version : Different size discus in 1 tank

shd17
02-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Can I keep different size discus in the same tank? Like 2" ones with 3.5-4" ones? I'm worried because the 2" ones used to eat alot and were fine competing with the larger ones for food but recently, they lack any interest and spit out most of the food.

Side question: What does SL & TL stand for when it comes to measuring size?

Thanks.

Eddie
02-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Can I keep different size discus in the same tank? Like 2" ones with 3.5-4" ones? I'm worried because the 2" ones used to eat alot and were fine competing with the larger ones for food but recently, they lack any interest and spit out most of the food.

Side question: What does SL & TL stand for when it comes to measuring size?

Thanks.

It's not impossible to keep smaller ones with larger ones but if the younger ones are always stressed, the constant stress may allow disease to overcome. Did you buy the fish at the same time or are these new additions? Did you quarantine the new fish?

Eddie

ShinShin
02-03-2009, 02:41 AM
My experience has shown that it is not a good idea.

Mat

shd17
02-03-2009, 02:46 AM
It's not impossible to keep smaller ones with larger ones but if the younger ones are always stressed, the constant stress may allow disease to overcome. Did you buy the fish at the same time or are these new additions? Did you quarantine the new fish?

Eddie

These were additions that I bought later on. I did QT in a 20 gallon and was considering keeping them in there due to size but I didn't think it was a good idea to keep only 3 in one tank. I'm just worried they will be stunted if they don't start eating right.

Eddie
02-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Well if the new ones were the smaller ones, maybe your existing fish had something that is taking a toll on the little ones now since they have been introduced to the main tank. Could be....

Eddie

shd17
02-03-2009, 03:08 AM
So is it wise just to keep them in separate tanks then? They still seem to rush to eat but then spit out the food (flakes, FBS, FBW) once they taste it.

Eddie
02-03-2009, 03:35 AM
So is it wise just to keep them in separate tanks then? They still seem to rush to eat but then spit out the food (flakes, FBS, FBW) once they taste it.

No, not necessarily. How new are they? Maybe they are still settling into their new environment. I'd just give them some time. Another thing that might help is turning up the heat to 88F. Thats just an option, I would do. Its worked for me before but what do I know.

Eddie

shd17
02-03-2009, 04:00 AM
They've been in there for about 2 weeks. But thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Eddie
02-03-2009, 04:12 AM
;)