PDA

View Full Version : Adding More Discus

JFlo
02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I posted this in another section, but thought that I would put it here for more comments. I have a 150 gal. planted tank with many fish including two wild discus. They seem to be doing fairly well, but I find there coloring a touch bland. Some blue but mostly brown. I was hoping that I could add some more colorful discus to the mix. Am I able to mix the different fish or am I limited to wild only? Any thought appreciated :D

Eddie
02-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I posted this in another section, but thought that I would put it here for more comments. I have a 150 gal. planted tank with many fish including two wild discus. They seem to be doing fairly well, but I find there coloring a touch bland. Some blue but mostly brown. I was hoping that I could add some more colorful discus to the mix. Am I able to mix the different fish or am I limited to wild only? Any thought appreciated :D

It's really up to you. Some people prefer to keep wilds with wilds and hybrids with hybrids. If your fish are domestic browns, you could keep hybrids with them. They just say that wild caught fish have a different personality than tank raised. That's all just from research and other people's experience, not my own.

HTH
Eddie

JFlo
02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Awesome to hear. Maybe Ill start with adding a few at a time. Before I do though Im going to wait another month or so. It seems that one of the two wilds is a touch agressive. He is always nipping at the other and the one being nipped is missing some of its fins as a result. Is this common? I feed them a mixture of pellets, bloodworms, and beefheart. Everything in my tank is great.

86 degrees F
ph is 7.4
nitrate is 10ppm
ammonia is 0
nitrite is 0

They are fed 3 times per day.

William Palumbo
02-04-2009, 10:12 AM
That is normal Discus aggression. Partially due probally to the fact you ONLY have two Discus in there. With more Discus, the aggression gets spread out amongst the other fish. You feeding and water are fine for growing out Discus...Bill

JFlo
02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
OK thanks for the info. Anyone know of a good place to order wild discus? I have a nice local shop but if I want them they order them without me seeing them and sale is final and paid up front. I found one site so far through Google but not sure who to trust. Sunrise Tropicals is thesite I saw already.

JFlo
02-04-2009, 10:26 AM
EDIT ... my PH is 6.4 not 7.4

Eddie
02-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Any of the sponsors, see whats available.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Best quality fish!

Eddie

Yassmeena
02-04-2009, 11:30 AM
OK thanks for the info. Anyone know of a good place to order wild discus? I have a nice local shop but if I want them they order them without me seeing them and sale is final and paid up front. I found one site so far through Google but not sure who to trust. Sunrise Tropicals is thesite I saw already.

I think that Al Sabetta, one of the sponsers here (CT Discus), is particularly into wilds, and may have some nice options for you.

I remember seeing pictures of his discus, and they were really nice!

He's actually the founder of the forum too.

So look up CT Discus in the sponser section and give him a call. That's what I would do if I was looking for wilds. :)

Yassmeena
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Also, you could post in the Wild Discus section and ask people where they order their discus.

If you want to add more color to the tank though, which you mentioned, I beleive that you may be better able to do that with non-wild strains.

Most wilds are less colorful as I understand.

JFlo
02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Awesome!! Thanks for all the good info. Ill check that sponsor and the other forum :D

susantroy1
02-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I'd look no further than here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67760

All The Best

Troy

Yassmeena
02-05-2009, 01:53 AM
I'd look no further than here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67760

All The Best

Troy

Very nice selection there!!!

RainbowSnails
02-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Very nice selection there!!!

This is who I got my discus from and they are great. Luckily I live nearby. Wonderful store and seller.

Terri