PDA

View Full Version : Wriggling worms after treatment with levamisole.

Patr1ck
02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Are these expelled worms floating around the tank a threat to humans when cleaning the tank to remove them? Also are they a threat to reinfestation since they are still moving or will they eventually die? how do I erradicate them completely from the tank since levamisole only paralyzes them? Is this paralysis permanent and they will eventually die or not? sorry lots of ?'s.

thanks,
P

MSD
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
When in doubt wear gloves, if they live they can lay eggs and reinfest the fish as well.

pcsb23
02-05-2009, 06:33 AM
What do these worms look like? ime very few worms expelled are expelled alive.

If the worms are hair like and swim with a snake like action they are likely to be stylaria, which are not from in the fish but the tank/filters/substrate or whatever. They are harmless as such but may indicate over feeding or the tank needs better maintenance, sometimes seen in newsih setups too.

The other worm seen is planaria these are usually on the glass or other hard surfaces.

Patr1ck
02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
What do these worms look like? ime very few worms expelled are expelled alive.

If the worms are hair like and swim with a snake like action they are likely to be stylaria, which are not from in the fish but the tank/filters/substrate or whatever. They are harmless as such but may indicate over feeding or the tank needs better maintenance, sometimes seen in newsih setups too.

The other worm seen is planaria these are usually on the glass or other hard surfaces.

They are 1/8" to 1/4" long. They are white and skinny. They arent swimming they are just floating around, lazily wiggling. :confused:

P

pcsb23
02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
They are 1/8" to 1/4" long. They are white and skinny. They arent swimming they are just floating around, lazily wiggling. :confused:

Pcurious. Doesn't sound like planaria, but could still be stylaria. I would be tempted to give the filter a good clean out, if it's sponges give them a really good squeezing. Wipe all hard surfaces down, particularly wipe the heater cable and any airline.

ShinShin
02-05-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree with Paul. These didn't come from the discus, IMO. Levamisole kills them dead. Nematodes like capillaria need to be magnafied. At least I've only seen them under a microscope.

Mat