PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Sunset Hygro

cmich
02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Anyone know where I can get some tropical sunset hygro? I have heard it may be on the invasive species list, so places dont sell them. I used to have it in my tank and loved it. I moved my tank from chicago to michigan, and the plant was ripped apart in the process. I'd like to try to get my hands on a few nice clippings. Thanks.

Blake

KDodds
02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Good luck finding some. It's on the invasive list as a species in the US, yes, H. polysperma, cultivar or not. A lot of places are either afraid to handle it or can't get it any longer. Whether or not it's legal for you to buy, sell, or keep it depends on your state. The last I knew, it was still legal in the NE, but it doesn't help if most of the commercial growers were in states where it's now illegal. I've heard of it being listed on aquabid, but have not had any luck finding those listings. If you find some, I'd love to know about it. Otherwise, I'll be going with H. corymbosa, not sure on the variant yet.

cmich
02-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks. I have a a really really small piece of stem that has remained that I am trying to grow out. So if I am successful and can get a good start on it, it should grow like a weed for me. Maybe down the road if I can get it back in my tank, i'll have some clippings for anyone who wants a piece. It really is a fun plant to have.

KDodds
02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Definitely would appreciate it if you grew out some. Hygro is excellent, in general, as a nutrient sponge.

cmich
02-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I'll keep you in mind through the process so that if and when i have some clippings I can send you some.

KDodds
02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks! I'm actually looking for green, but that seems to be a pipedream, so sunset if I can get it is cool too. Someone on plantgeek recently let go a bunch in a package deal, none left. :(