PDA

View Full Version : Quick Quarantine Questions - new discus

robby ram
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
During quarantine period..

1) Do you treat them with medication as preventive methods?
a) If so, what type of medicine do you use?
b) If medicine is being used, do you follow the whole instructions the same way we treat sick discus?

2) How long is the maximum weeks to quarantine new discus?

I am still learning and more inputs are gladly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eddie
02-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Depends on where they come from, wild caught or breeder. Just monitor them.

a) If so, what type of medicine do you use?
If no symptoms of anything and hearty, none.

b) If medicine is being used, do you follow the whole instructions the same way we treat sick discus?
If you medicate, best to follow the directions. Some meds are stronger and some are easier on discus so depends on the med.

2) How long is the maximum weeks to quarantine new discus?
6 weeks minimum

Eddie

robby ram
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Depends on where they come from, wild caught or breeder. Just monitor them.
--

I just got mine from a breeder.

--

Eddie
02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Well then just watch them. No use in medicating an otherwise healthy fish for no reason.

The reason to monitor them is to observe any issues that could have arisen from the stress of transport.

Eddie

robby ram
02-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Can you identify my new discus if they are stunted or not? I will upload the pic.

I am still learning.

Eddie
02-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Can you identify my new discus if they are stunted or not? I will upload the pic.

I am still learning.

Alot of people can identify a stunted fish. Eye size is the surefire way to identify a stunted fish.

Eddie

robby ram
02-07-2009, 08:30 PM
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/akil98/IMG_2111.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/akil98/IMG_2112.jpg

Eddie
02-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Robby,

Those discus are stunted, not very bad by any means but stunted. They have very nice color and pattern though. :o

Eddie

hedut
02-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Those are nice, I not discus master but I can say may be spotted leopard or... (I have some discus like that from Kenny) other kind of brilant something or ...
They just need time Robby, they will be nice. good luck.
Hendri

robby ram
02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
They are 4 and 5 inch leo and turq

ShinShin
02-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I have a QT protocal I got from an ichthyologist a dozen years ago and still use, tweaking from time to time, depending on the info I have about the fish.

I add a formalin/malachite green product to the tank after I add the discus. Follow directions on the container. Tapeworms are next. I use prazi for this. You can use prazipro from Hikari. Prazi and Metro are compatable drugs, so at times I treat simutainously, esp. if the discus have been stressed because of a delayed flight, temp. problem, etc.. Since prazi stays in the water for the duration of the treatment, only add back the appropriate amount after water changes. Add metro per metro protocal, which you can find in the diease section. Lastly, nematodes. I use levamisole for nematodes. After you have clean discus, you may never have to treat again with proper husbandry.

Mat

robby ram
02-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Hey Robby,

Those discus are stunted, not very bad by any means but stunted. They have very nice color and pattern though. :o

Eddie

Once they are stunted, they no longer can grow?

I don't know if stunted discus means something bad?

rickztahone
02-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Once they are stunted, they no longer can grow?

I don't know if stunted discus means something bad?

stunted means that they will not grow to their full potential. by no means does it mean you can't enjoy having them, i have a few myself. as long as you know they are in good health then there is nothing wrong with stunted discus. people cull stunted discus especially breeders to only concentrate on those that will grow out to be really big. again, stunted discus are not bad but are not desirable around here. buy from a sponsor here and you will have great quality

robby ram
02-07-2009, 10:52 PM
stunted means that they will not grow to their full potential. by no means does it mean you can't enjoy having them, i have a few myself. as long as you know they are in good health then there is nothing wrong with stunted discus. people cull stunted discus especially breeders to only concentrate on those that will grow out to be really big. again, stunted discus are not bad but are not desirable around here. buy from a sponsor here and you will have great quality

well im not looking to compete, but as long as it grows- that is sufficient for me.

rickztahone
02-07-2009, 10:57 PM
well im not looking to compete, but as long as it grows- that is sufficient for me.

forgot to mention, it is a little difficult if not impossible to grow out stunted discus to a decent size. i'm not saying that they can't get bigger than what you have them at but chances are that they won't get much bigger

Eddie
02-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Stunted discus can grow but will not reach full potential. There optimal growth period has been interrupted due to improper care, feeding or time dealing with disease.

They will develop and have beautiful colors/patterns as the ones you displayed. The ones you showed are very nice looking and they could breed well and the offspring can be grown out to surpass them in size and color.

Nobody is in a competition and if you were I am sure you would have stated that. You asked for an opinion on the discus you presented us as to whether or not they were stunted. I gave you my answer, if it's not what you wanted to hear....maybe not ask. :o

Eddie

robby ram
02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Stunted discus can grow but will not reach full potential. There optimal growth period has been interrupted due to improper care, feeding or time dealing with disease.

They will develop and have beautiful colors/patterns as the ones you displayed. The ones you showed are very nice looking and they could breed well and the offspring can be grown out to surpass them in size and color.

Nobody is in a competition and if you were I am sure you would have stated that. You asked for an opinion on the discus you presented us as to whether or not they were stunted. I gave you my answer, if it's not what you wanted to hear....maybe not ask. :o

Eddie

When I refer to compete, I merely talked about people who raise them to compete - for prizes. Real competition.

Yes I wanted to know if they are stunted what I should expect from a stunted discus, but sorry if you misinterpreted the word 'compete'.

Eddie
02-07-2009, 11:25 PM
When I refer to compete, I merely talked about people who raise them to compete - for prizes. Real competition.

Yes I wanted to know if they are stunted what I should expect from a stunted discus, but sorry if you misinterpreted the word 'compete'.

That's cool, the fish will grow for sure but it will be very minimal. I am sure fish grow until they die. LOL They seem to be late in age so as I a mentioned, their optimal growth period has passed.

Eddie