PDA

View Full Version : Male Pushes female

hieu45
02-08-2009, 04:52 AM
I have a pair of turqs that are about 1 yr old. They have been paired up for about 2 months. I have them in a 20 gal. bare bottom tank with a sponge filter and PVC pipe as breeding surface. The problem I am having is that the pair will clean and go through their dance, but when the female is ready to lay eggs, the male will push her away from the pipe when she tries to go vertical and lay her eggs. Is this just inexperience? This is the second time she has been ready to lay and the male pushes her away.

kaceyo
02-08-2009, 06:41 PM
The males will push on the females side to tell her he wants to spawn. Some males get over anxious and can keep pushing so often and hard that it intimidates the female and interferes with her spawning. They usually outgrow it with experience but some males never quite catch on and it continues to be a problem throught their lives.
Yours is just starting out so just give him some time. I know it can be very frustrating to watch but be patient.

Kacey

hieu45
02-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks Kacey, That's what I figured. You're right, it is frustrating, but I have patience.