PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Scratch Remover

mrconfident
02-10-2009, 02:46 AM
As the title states, I am looking for an acrylic Scratch Remover for the inside of my tank. The tank is filled with water and has fishes in it already. Would anyone know of any safe Acrylic Scratch Removers?

Thanks guys

Ibanez540r
02-10-2009, 04:43 AM
Are you sure it is on the inside? All of my scratches from substrate, moving things around, etc. on the inside disappear with water. The only scratches visible are on the outside. ...unless your talking a gouge or something large ? But these will not be removed with a typical solution.

... I do have a good scratch remover but am at work. I'll chime back in when I get home and let you know what it is.

KDodds
02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I think you mean this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3883

Polishing out scratches can be something of an art, so you might want to practice on a piece of acrylic scrap first, or an inconspicuous part fo the aquarium. On the inside, you can not go down to the finest polish since it is a liquid, but going down to the finest pad should work well enough. If the scratch is very large, or very deep, you might want to hire someone or just leave it. I've quite a few superficial scratches inside my 450 that I've just left. Mostly, they're on the bottom, some 27" down, and would be very difficult to polish as fine as should be. Attempting them while the tank is full would likely create more of an eyesore than the original scratch.

mrconfident
02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Yes, I am 100% sure the scratches are on the inside, I know this because my tank has black coral sand for the substrate, I had a magnafloat that I left in there from the other day. I usually don't use these things. Anyways, long story short, my girlfriend was playing with the magnafloat, she got some sand in the bristles and....well you guys know the rest...:mad:

KDodds
02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
:D Don't be too hard on her. It's acrylic. Scratch happens. ;)

Ibanez540r
02-11-2009, 06:30 AM
:D Don't be too hard on her. It's acrylic. Scratch happens. ;)

Lol - True.

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-11-2009, 03:50 PM
The Novus brand works extremely well. Everything from deep scratch removers to polishers/cleaners. Since the scratch is on the inside you will have to drain the tank down below that level as the surface must be dry for it to work best.

-Ryan