PDA

View Full Version : What are these tiny tiny white worms in my tank?

freestylez_14
02-13-2009, 12:36 AM
2 days ago i took out my sponge filter and placed in an air stone for my breeding pair. today i look closely on the glass inside the tank i saw a lot of tiny tiny white worms crawling. You might even need a microscope to see them. What are they???? Where did they come from and why? How do i prevent the tank from carrying them? I have already put the sponge filter back afterward.

Eddie
02-13-2009, 12:40 AM
2 days ago i took out my sponge filter and placed in an air stone for my breeding pair. today i look closely on the glass inside the tank i saw a lot of tiny tiny white worms crawling. You might even need a microscope to see them. What are they???? Where did they come from and why? How do i prevent the tank from carrying them? I have already put the sponge filter back afterward.

Planaria, they come from over feeding and lack of wiping everything down before waterchanges. If you watch your feeding and vacuum up any uneaten food, it can control them. I wipe everything down really well before I siphon my tanks and it also helps.

Eddie

freestylez_14
02-13-2009, 12:58 AM
thanks Eddie, you replied back fast. I will keep this in mind, wipe first and then siphon and it will help preventing Planaria.

Thanks I appreciated.

Eddie
02-13-2009, 12:59 AM
thanks Eddie, you replied back fast. I will keep this in mind, wipe first and then siphon and it will help preventing Planaria.

Thanks I appreciated.

;) And watch the feeding.

Eddie

freestylez_14
02-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Yup I will. thanks.

KDodds
02-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Another possibility, nematodes, if they're rounded and not flattened. USUALLY you see them more in planted tanks, but it's not unheard of in unplanted tanks.

Eddie
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
F14,

Here's an article that differentiates between the 2 so you can figure it out.

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=67

I'll bet on Planaria

Eddie

Roxanne
02-13-2009, 05:09 PM
long worms or round bugs?.....little round skittery bugs on the bottom are copepods and thread like worms that swim around the tank are stylaria...

Roxanne
02-13-2009, 06:48 PM
..and the ones that stick to the glass are planaria...don't squeeze you filter in the tank, rinse it in some of the tank water in a seperate bucket..;)