PDA

View Full Version : a pair of SS just couldn't get it right, please help me help them.

soundtweakers
02-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Hi, I have a group of 2 1/2 years old blue SS discus that I raise from fairly young age in my 55 gallon planted community tank.

Out of the group, there's one pair that had spawn at least 3 times(might be more, but I only "witnessed" 3 of them), all three times the eggs were eaten by both parents(mainly the male). I haven't seen any eggs from them for at least 6 months now, but every now and then I see them doing the breeding rituals(the fin shake, the cleaning of spawning site, the dry runs). But that's about it, just dry runs, and even after a dry run of the female, the male still go picking on the spot where she "supposed" to have laid her eggs.

I will pick up a 20H for the breeding attempt. Does anyone think there'll be a better chance of success if I move this pair to the breeding tank? If yes, should I move the female there first for conditioning?

This pair of SS has been a pair for a long time, they had always been faithful to each other. Should I try to mix different male/female? Also, besides a male pigeon blood that had spawned years ago, I'm not sure of the sex of the other 2 SS since they never spawned nor pair up with anybody. Would it help if I post some photos?

thanks in advance for any help

Billy

Ibanez540r
02-15-2009, 04:26 AM
Sorry all the other information kind of blurred away after you said 10gal breeding tank. :p Too Small! Go a minimum of 20, with preferably 25/29/30. :o

White Worm
02-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Thats the nature of discus. There is no exact science to breeding. You can introduce another discus to see what happens and NO, 10g is way too small. I like the 29g. Even though they are old enough, doesnt mean they have the skills yet. Some get it pretty quick and others take time to figure it out....some just dont get it and you need to pair up another couple.

mmorris
02-15-2009, 11:02 AM
I had a pair that refused to breed until I moved them into their own tank. When I did, presto! I currently have a pair that have been going through the motions for months now and I'm pretty certain if I put them in their own tank, I'd have eggs. A ten gallon isn't really good for much in the discus hobby. 29 gal. minimum, but remember, if and when you are successful, you'll need a grow-out tank of around 55 gal. for the fry. Think down the road.

MostlyDiscus
02-15-2009, 11:18 AM
It helps if the parents are in breeding condition. Have any pics you would care to share?

Ed

kaceyo
02-15-2009, 04:01 PM
As everyone has said, 10 gal is too small. I also prefere 29g for breeding, but many people do use 20's.
It wouldn't make any sense to mix the pair with other fish at this point. You can put both fish into the breeding tank at the same time, unless there is a reason you think the female needs some time to get into condition before the male is added. You could also use the cycled filter from the 10gal in the breeder tank.
Good luck,

Kacey

soundtweakers
02-15-2009, 06:36 PM
thanks for all the info. Unfortunately the only tank I have to spare is a 10 gal. Maybe I should let nature take it's toll and just leave them along.

A long time ago, I had a pair in my 55 gallon community tank, father was the PB and mother was a red turq. After the fry went free swimming I moved mother and fry to the 10 gallon. With mother's slime and frozen baby brine shrimp(hakari brand), I managed to raise them to almost quarter size until a freak accident killed everything in the tank.

It looks like they are at it again today, using their favorite spot(the heater), I have to wait til sunset to take pics but thanks again for all the info.

Billy

soundtweakers
02-16-2009, 02:21 AM
I did a 50% WC yesterday, so today they're in the mood again. So here are some picture taken today of the pair at their favorite spawning spot, again no eggs were deposited.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3450/3284136908_68e82cdbfe_b.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3372/3283316617_3794439e63_b.jpg

Here is a shot of the female
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3493/3283316999_4a0e198e4b_b.jpg

Here is the male
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/3283317547_a796f2494a_b.jpg

If anyone can offer any help, I'd really appreciate it.

Billy

soundtweakers
02-16-2009, 02:27 AM
Sorry all the other information kind of blurred away after you said 10gal breeding tank. :p Too Small! Go a minimum of 20, with preferably 25/29/30. :o
ya I know, but it's what I got at the moment, and I'm going to give it a try.

Love your Screen name btw, I used to have a RG540, had to trade it in as a down payment for a Les Paul custom. I miss that guitar.

billy

mmorris
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
ya I know, but it's what I got at the moment, and I'm going to give it a try.
billy

A breeding pair in a ten-gallon tank AND fry? :confused:

soundtweakers
02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
A breeding pair in a ten-gallon tank AND fry? :confused:

okay okay, forget I ever mentioned 10 gallon, :) I'll pick up a 20H for the breeding attempt, good thing the equipment I have are all rated for 20 gallons.

mmorris
02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Where are you going to raise the fry? :)

soundtweakers
02-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Where are you going to raise the fry? :) I have another 20H fully cycled.

White Worm
02-16-2009, 03:04 PM
You do realize that if they get it right, you could have in the neighborhood of 150-200 or more fry right? A 20g will be too small very quickly even after culling. If you are going to breed and it sounds like you are in the planning stage....you should prepare to do it right. Patience and the right conditions for the pair and the fry will pay off for you in the end. You should have a 29g for the pair and a 55g to raise the fry. Then what happens if they do it again? Think ahead and dont rush it or you may end up with a lot of low quality discus that you cant do anything with.

soundtweakers
02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
You do realize that if they get it right, you could have in the neighborhood of 150-200 or more fry right? A 20g will be too small very quickly even after culling. If you are going to breed and it sounds like you are in the planning stage....you should prepare to do it right. Patience and the right conditions for the pair and the fry will pay off for you in the end. You should have a 29g for the pair and a 55g to raise the fry. Then what happens if they do it again? Think ahead and dont rush it or you may end up with a lot of low quality discus that you cant do anything with.It looks like I'll have to put it on hold for now, there isn't enough room in my shoebox apartment to have anymore tanks.

Thanks for all the advice.