PDA

View Full Version : Eggs being eaten

shaz
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi I've recently got a breeding pair of discus who were previously laying in the community tank but eggs were being eaten by other tankmates.

decided to move them to there own breeding tank and this is now the second batch to be eaten.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this or is it just a matter of leaving them to it and hope they get it right?

William Palumbo
02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Shaz...You just have to be patient with them. Some pairs get it right thr first time...some never get it right. Depending on what your female is laying eggs on, I would try to cover the eggs with a screen to keep them from eating them. A lot of times as the eggs develope and start to wiggle, the pair is more attatched to them, and does not view them as a snack...Usually. But they can still be eaten during any phase of the fry developement...Bill

shaz
02-16-2009, 05:18 PM
thanks for your reply, they are spawning on a spawning cone. guess I could put this at one end of the tank and try divide them. I have a tank divider with holes in it, would that work or is that not fine enough? was thinking that and use an air stone to air the eggs?