PDA

View Full Version : discus coloration question

soundtweakers
02-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi, just an observation and a quick question.

first is a picture taken in April, 2007 a few month after I received this discus. The seller called it Cobra Snakeskin.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3145/3288836958_777aea9dcd_o.jpg

and here is a pic taken last week of the same fish, it's the one on the front
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/3283405211_b8d2ffa68b_b.jpg

don't mind the photo/lighting difference, their color is very different to my naked eyes.

Are the adult discus suppose to be this much darker compare to when they were juvies? Or am I not taking care of them the right way?

what do you think.

Eddie
02-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Discus shades change with their environment, defense mechanism. Backgrounds, substrates etc.

They also change with stress. If your fish are happy, healthy and eating. They just express darker shades in your planted tank.

Eddie

William Palumbo
02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
In your first pic the fish looks prime. A very nice high bodied/fin Discus. In the second pic, it looks like it may have lagged behind in growth, probally not fed enough with enough water changes. A lot of times that is the problem with placing young Discus in planted tanks. Most grow them out with heavy feedings and LARGE water changes in a BB tank, then when up in size, place in show tank...Bill

Eddie
02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
As Bill stated, the fish definitely lagged in growth.

In looking at the picture, the size of the fish seems almost the same as it was a year ago.

Eddie

soundtweakers
02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
thanks for all the answers.

In juvie days, this fish was the pack leader, but after a while another fish became dominant and grew largest.

It was due to my inexperience that the fish seem stunted. Would it make sense for me to get this fish in solitary QT, and try to over feed it with larger water changes?

thanks.

White Worm
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
At this time, it has done the majority of its growing. Its probably not going to get much larger no matter what you do.

mmorris
02-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Stunting shouldn't effect coloring, and it is the coloring you are asking about, is that correct? Is he eating well? If he became dark quite recently you might want to monitor very closely for possible health issues. Discus will also change their colors, sometimes quite dramatically, when they reach maturity. Finally, your planted tank seems to have a dark background compared to the first picture and many barred discus become quite dark as they try to blend in. If he is feeling well I see no point in moving him.

mikel
02-18-2009, 09:42 PM
He was a very promising fish...I really liked his look in the first picture. Nice body shape. mike

cc_woman
02-18-2009, 11:02 PM
I think he is really pretty. :)

soundtweakers
02-19-2009, 02:06 AM
The group of S.S. spent 8 month in a grow out tank before I moved them into the 55 gallon planted tank back in 2007. They've been pretty healthy and had never(knock on wood) gave me any headache. There's actually one formed pair out of this group that tried to spawn without success(but that's another thread in another forum). The fish I used in this thread was chosen because it's the only fish that has a "before & after" photo. Although these fish are very healthy, I'm a bit disappointed with their color, did not know this strain will grow into dark blue discus. I think Eddie(basshead) is right about them changing color in different environment, I remember they got significant darker right after they moved into their current tank, I thought it was the initial shock, but they stayed dark, shows bars once in a while, but overall dark.

But like mmorris said, I'm posting this thread hoping someone has had experience with this strain of S.S. and shine some lights on their coloration.

thanks again.
billy

soundtweakers
02-19-2009, 02:18 AM
This is from the same group of S.S. This is the current alpha male.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3292403264_b9b7441449_b.jpg

another pic of this male behind the driftwood attempt to spawn on the heater
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3372/3283316617_3794439e63_b.jpg

Ibanez540r
02-19-2009, 07:48 AM
I'd definitely say he's done growing. The second picture shows large eyes = stunted.

On a positive note, I really like the look of him with the more pronounced blue. The picture above this post I think he looks really cool. I like it more then the original IMO.

soundtweakers
02-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I'd definitely say he's done growing. The second picture shows large eyes = stunted.

On a positive note, I really like the look of him with the more pronounced blue. The picture above this post I think he looks really cool. I like it more then the original IMO.
The latest pics in this thread above your post is of another male(the current alpha male). This fish is much larger than the first fish pictured earlier in this thread.

soundtweakers
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I realize there aren't much I can do if the fish is already stunted, but then again it's not really bothering me much because I'm not looking to grow giant discus for competitions. As long as they are healthy and eating I'm happy with them.

It just bothers me that they had a coloration at juvie age that I like much more than their current coloration as adult. And I'm wondering if there things I can do to "change their mood".

mmorris
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Is that black paper on the back of the tank?

kaceyo
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
You can change tank and suroundings. Put them in a tank with light colored background and gravel. That alone should make a big difference assuming they aren't dark due to health issues.

Kacey

YSS
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Your SS looks doesn't look that much different from other SS's I've seen. I think the color looks pretty good.

soundtweakers
02-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Is that black paper on the back of the tank?
it's painted. I don't have another tank to house these discuses, they're pretty healthy so I think I'll leave them alone.

I've got some plants slowly filling in the tank, I think it'll be much brighter overall when the plants flourish in this tank.

rwong2k
02-23-2009, 12:58 AM
nice pictures, your discus look very nice

thanks for sharing