PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell a discus is healthy?

freestylez_14
02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
When do you own a discus fish or looking at someone else fish, how do you know it is healthy?

William Palumbo
02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
That's something that comes with experience. The more time you spend learning about and being around Discus, the easier it will be to know the Discus. Also, just because it is healthy, does not mean it's a quality fish...Bill

Don Trinko
02-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Look for erect fins, good color, ( young fish do not show as much color as older fish) not hidding, and eating well. If they come from a BB (bare bottom ) tank look to see what the poo looks like. If any is white and stringy I would avoid and fish from that tank. Ask the dealer to feed the fish, any that do not come running I would avoid. ( they could be ok but to start out you want fish that are healthy and eating well.) Don T.

Eddie
02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
That's something that comes with experience. The more time you spend learning about and being around Discus, the easier it will be to know the Discus. Also, just because it is healthy, does not mean it's a quality fish...Bill

Agree with Bill.

Healthy is also an opinion, so there are hundreds of ideas of what a healthy discus is. Experience, knowledge will give you the answer. Also, what Don T said is correct. A happy hungry fish is healthy in my book. ;)

Eddie

White Worm
02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I would agree. If the discus scrams up to the front of the tank to greet you during feeding time, they feel pretty good. Mine come to the front of tank when they see me come in the room even if i'm not feeding them. I can stand at one end and they will all come to greet me. I will then move to the other end and they will follow me.

freestylez_14
02-18-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a pair of breeder that is shy when i come close to them to feed food. They are not sick or anything theyre just shy. When I fed them food they will not eat in front of me but when i left and came back all the food were gone. I have seen wigglers from them but never had a batch of fry.

freestylez_14
02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
This is the shy pair i have and so far no luck with breeding. The smaller one is a female blue diamond and the male is a solid green? The male had problems when he was at 2 inches. I thought he would even die. His body was as thin like a paper and i thought he got stunted and would not grow but now he is at 5 inches and eating alot like a pig.

Eddie
02-18-2009, 10:45 PM
How do you know they are a pair?

The female is very small, maybe not of age yet?

Eddie

William Palumbo
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Sometimes fish get and stay shy because of tank placement, whether it's too low, or in a high traffic area. Sometimes to bright, or a bare bottom tank can make them skittish if there is nothing taped to the outside bottom glass. Bad water quality can also make them jumpy...Bill

freestylez_14
02-19-2009, 12:00 AM
How do you know they are a pair?

The female is very small, maybe not of age yet?

Eddie

I purchased these 2 together when they were around 2 inches and it turned out that it is a female and a male. Lucky. The female laid eggs at her very early age so since then she did not grow that much. Iam sure they are at the same age. The female just got stunted because she laid eggs early. I purchased them last february and it is a year now since the purchased date. They have had wigglers before and are trying to breed again. So if they have had wigglers then they are called a pair? I think they are still young and still trying. Maybe they will get it right some day? I have no other discus to let either of them go with and try to breed, besides my other breeding pair.

freestylez_14
02-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Sometimes fish get and stay shy because of tank placement, whether it's too low, or in a high traffic area. Sometimes to bright, or a bare bottom tank can make them skittish if there is nothing taped to the outside bottom glass. Bad water quality can also make them jumpy...Bill

I placed the tank in an area that has very low traffic area. The tank is 4 feet high from the ground. Around the tank is covered with white including the bottom of the tank. Is it because the bottom of the tank is covered with white so it reduces their braveness?

Eddie
02-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I purchased these 2 together when they were around 2 inches and it turned out that it is a female and a male. Lucky. The female laid eggs at her very early age so since then she did not grow that much. Iam sure they are at the same age. The female just got stunted because she laid eggs early. I purchased them last february and it is a year now since the purchased date. They have had wigglers before and are trying to breed again. So if they have had wigglers then they are called a pair? I think they are still young and still trying. Maybe they will get it right some day? I have no other discus to let either of them go with and try to breed, besides my other breeding pair.

Wow, 2 inch BD spawning. That is a WORLD record. That is crazy

Eddie

freestylez_14
02-19-2009, 12:13 AM
yea, LOL.

CARY_GLdiscus
02-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Nice Info above! And in most cases I would have to agree with the others! However the truth is that all the fish of the world, including discus, live in harmony with many diseases being present at one time. It’s only when stress occurs that disease shows itself. This is either from environmental change or extreme moves to new environments. From the stress, the immune system begins to weaken. When this happens fish and disease can no longer co-exist and disease then takes a hold and gains control slowly killing its host.

So I guess, even though this is good info, I would disagree and say that Discus can look perfectly healthy until they are moved to your tank! If you think about it, they do not treat the Amazon with metro or prazi and most of the fish live to a ripe old age in harmony with many diseases.

HTH
Cary GLd!

Discus-Hans
02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Nice Info above! And in most cases I would have to agree with the others! However the truth is that all the fish of the world, including discus, live in harmony with many diseases being present at one time. It’s only when stress occurs that disease shows itself. This is either from environmental change or extreme moves to new environments. From the stress, the immune system begins to weaken. When this happens fish and disease can no longer co-exist and disease then takes a hold and gains control slowly killing its host.

So I guess, even though this is good info, I would disagree and say that Discus can look perfectly healthy until they are moved to your tank! If you think about it, they do not treat the Amazon with metro or prazi and most of the fish live to a ripe old age in harmony with many diseases.

HTH
Cary GLd!

Now and THAT's why Mr. Strong is THE MAN,

Hans

CARY_GLdiscus
02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
HAN'S

Your just As bright! if not alittle brighter! : ) IMO this Site is loaded with top notch Gals + guy's that know their Stuff. HATS off to OUR site IMO one of the BEST! Because of everyone thats here!

Cary