PDA

View Full Version : Grow out tank

cmich
02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
I have to small (possibly stunted) discus. They are both around 2". I'd like to move them out of my planted tank to grow them out a little bit better.

It's definately hard to feed them properly to try to increase their size in a planted tank. I think I will get a smaller tank and keep it bare bottom.

What is the smallest tank people would recomend for growing out these two discus (space and money is limited).

Also, I think I will try to grow them out on Basshead's tuna/salmon mix.

Blake

grandrapids9
02-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi, you can probably find used 20 gal tanks easily, maybe a 15 long, but a 20 would work better. Try to keep the heat at 86, that will get them more active for feeding and you will see results in a month. I am fortunate, I work at home and the discus get fed 7 times or more a day from 9 in themorning until 8:30. Try to feed them beefheart, bloodworms and if you can get live black worms. I have tried flake food once and they spit it out. My discus are very healthy and fat, with only one a little skinny and that was bought "used" from someone I did not get to see before hand, and he is fatting up and getting great color and is around 5 inches plus now. I am getting 5 more juvies Tuesday, from Carolina Discus, they are Carnation Snake Skins, they will be in a 30 for grow out for about 3 months max, then into my planted 90 with 4 Super Red Turquoise discus. Hows life in Mt Pleasant, I am over here in Grand Rapids, Dan

White Worm
02-22-2009, 09:09 PM
How old are they? Depending on age, it may not be a big enough benefit to move them. Older stunted discus will not grow much more than they already are. If they are within 6 months old, then you could get some more size out of them.....maybe even up to a year old. Discus grow little after they become adults 1.5-2 years old. No matter what, they wont all become whoppers no matter what you do. A healthy discus is a happy discus regardless of size.

Eddie
02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
How old are they? Depending on age, it may not be a big enough benefit to move them. Older stunted discus will not grow much more than they already are. If they are within 6 months old, then you could get some more size out of them.....maybe even up to a year old. Discus grow little after they become adults 1.5-2 years old. No matter what, they wont all become whoppers no matter what you do. A healthy discus is a happy discus regardless of size.

Definitely agree with WW. If they are already stunted, there is not too much you can do. Stunted discus pretty much stay stunted. They will grow a little but anything after 6-7 months, it would probably have to take a miracle to get them to have a major growth spurt.

Eddie

mmorris
02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
How many discus are they in with now? It is likely that putting just two in a tank on their own, unless they are a mated pair, is going to create problems for them. They feel secure in groups, and a group of at least six will spread out the aggression.

cmich
02-23-2009, 02:40 AM
They are probably around 6 months old. It is currently just the two of them in my planted tank. They seem to get along very well, and eat very well. It's just too hard for me to feed them enough and be able to do proper water changes in my planted tank. It's also hard to get them enough food with my cardinal tetras feeding so aggressively. I'm hoping that if I take them out for a while and feed basshead's mix with lots of water changes I could get another inch or two out of them. Is this possible? I could move them to a 29 gallon. I may also add a piece of driftwood if it would make them more comfortable, or even some potted plants.

Any more advice would be appreciated. I'm not at all assuming I will have any prize discus out of either of these fish, but if there is the chance of putting any more size on them, i'd like to try. Even if they are stunted, they can be healthy and are nice to look at.

Eddie
02-23-2009, 04:22 AM
They are probably around 6 months old. It is currently just the two of them in my planted tank. They seem to get along very well, and eat very well. It's just too hard for me to feed them enough and be able to do proper water changes in my planted tank. It's also hard to get them enough food with my cardinal tetras feeding so aggressively. I'm hoping that if I take them out for a while and feed basshead's mix with lots of water changes I could get another inch or two out of them. Is this possible? I could move them to a 29 gallon. I may also add a piece of driftwood if it would make them more comfortable, or even some potted plants.

Any more advice would be appreciated. I'm not at all assuming I will have any prize discus out of either of these fish, but if there is the chance of putting any more size on them, i'd like to try. Even if they are stunted, they can be healthy and are nice to look at.

It's worth a shot cmich but a 29 gallon will still be a bit tight. If anything, throw'em in a 55 and blast them with small feeding all day long. Have to keep with the water quality too. ;)

I have stunted discus now in a 29 gallon and they ain't gonna get any bigger. I feed them lots and do daily water changes but they still won't grow like the others. They've been treated for worms as well. Its the discus facts of life. They are my heros though. ;)

Eddie

cmich
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Eddie.