PDA

View Full Version : Bloodworm

nickmcmechan
02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I've heard feeding this can have poor effect upon Discus, but what are the effects?

Eddie
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Some believe they can be linked to disease. Do you mean live, frozen, freeze dried?

MSD
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Use Hikari brand, thousands are using it and you don't hear of any mass extinctions.

Ceahorse
02-24-2009, 01:46 AM
mine love frozen.. but haven't had them for more then a year

dishpanhands
02-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Blood worms are insect larvae and that means they have exoskeletons, and fish can not digest that part so if feed to much the exoskeletons will plug up the gut of the fish. This is why a good mix of food is important. as far as desease goes. if you stick with name brand food it is irritated and that will kill any bad things in it...HTH

ShinShin
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Bloodworms can come from the same polluted waters as tubifex worms, so be careful of what brands you buy. Hikari brand is a very relatively safe brand. Omega One brand has come out with a multiple sterilized product as well. I haven't used them as of yet, but I do use Hikari brand.

Wattley suggests that very young discus have a hard time digesting them and should not feed them to these fish. Also, suggested is that fed in conjunction with pellets like Tetra Bits, intestinal blockage can occur.

Mat