PDA

View Full Version : Dorsal fin on BD has red tips!?!?

Porkchop
02-24-2009, 03:06 AM
lol I guess my Tetra color bits are getting to this guy. He eats everything I put into the tank. The BD and my "mystery" fish I got from Chris are growing the fastest. I didn't think that the color bits had that much of an effect though.

Has anyone else seen this on a BD? So far, I haven't seen any changes on my WB and the rest of my fish have some kind of orange or red regardless.

Anthony

DiscusOnly
02-24-2009, 03:24 AM
If you feed a lot of tetra bits/or red color enhancer, you will notice that the BD is almost purple. The fin and mouth on mine has some color to it and it is not blue.

poconogal
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
My BD gobbles Tetra Bits. she is a beautiful blue but pectoral and caudal fins are a transparent yellow. Looks good though, I like it.

Porkchop
02-24-2009, 01:03 PM
If you stick with feeding them and the color gets to a point to where you don't like it, will it go back to normal if you stop feeding them the bits? :o

Anthony

dizkuz
02-25-2009, 12:20 PM
There are different type/brand of bits/flakes that doesn't have astaxanthin in them, chose one of them if you dont like the red tip in your BD:angel:
Just check the label on them or ask your LFS

FLGirl1977
02-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I think the red would look nice on the tips the way you described... any pictures?

Porkchop
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I will try and get some but it may be hard. When I say tips, I mean the very tips lol.

Anthony

Porkchop
02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
It's not the best quality but it gets the point across.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/DSC00583.jpg

FLGirl1977
02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Huh... that is interesting. I guess you know he's eating well! :D

Porkchop
02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
lol, he is a red tipped BD. That new strain that's out, have you heard of it? :p

Anthony

Don Trinko
02-25-2009, 05:48 PM
My DB's changed collors as they matuered. Yours may do the same. Don T.

subcooler
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
"Just ask your LFS"-You gotta be kidding me:D
They don't give much of any discus info @ LFS!
Maybe a food related question they could answer,but I'll stick with bringing my questions here!

I also have a BD with red streaks in his dorsal fin.
I'll post pics later & see if we can get some expert opinion here.

Rob

There are different type/brand of bits/flakes that doesn't have astaxanthin in them, chose one of them if you dont like the red tip in your BD:angel:
Just check the label on them or ask your LFS

Porkchop
02-25-2009, 06:01 PM
No expert opinion needed...I already know it's from the Tetra color bits. I just wanted to share my experience and compare with others. ;)

rwong2k
02-28-2009, 10:56 PM
side question, how long did it take or what did you do to get your discus to eat the colourbits? My discus eat everythign except for that and I've even tried soaking it before feeding them, tried feeding them in the daytime, tried not feeding them anything for a day, no luck =)

seanyuki
02-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi Raymond,

Try mixing the colorbits with beefheart mixture or feed them the tetra bits as the first meal of the day when they are most hungry.:D

Cheers
Francis:)

side question, how long did it take or what did you do to get your discus to eat the colourbits? My discus eat everythign except for that and I've even tried soaking it before feeding them, tried feeding them in the daytime, tried not feeding them anything for a day, no luck =)

Porkchop
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM

I agree with Francis, feed first thing in the morning as well as mix with other feedings. Slowly, one will start taking and the rest will follow. It just takes time. Mine pretty much eat everything at this point. There was recently a Checkerboard Pigeon added and he still does not take flakes or pellets. I'm sure he will soon though...