PDA

View Full Version : How to get a light blue background

ilaizm
02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I would like to have a light blue background to my aquarium but I would prefer to not paint it. Are there any other ways to achieve what I want?

marnold
02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Try the light blue insulation panels.They have them a Lowes or Home depot.

richtran08
02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
How you considered items like colored construction paper?

fishyj
02-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Your local lfs should have a light blue background.

waters10
02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Try the light blue insulation panels.They have them a Lowes or Home depot.
Second that. They can even cut to the correct size at either Lowes or HD. You get good color and will might even save some bucks with the heater. I have these on the back and bottom of my tank.

Kristin
02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Here is our tank, we use light blue construction paper and tape it to the back. we like it.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu301/bkrvail/DSCF0133-1.jpg

DiscusOnly
02-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I painted a few tanks directly over the summer and I will not do it anymore. Home depot sells 4'x8' blue foam insulation tat is about .5" thick for about $12. They are light blue on one side and gray on the other. The blue side has writing on them. What I did was I spray paint one side blue and tape it to the tank.

The biggest benefits are added insulation and you can do it to a tank that is already set up.

KDodds
02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
LFSs also sell waterproof BG papers in light blue. Shouldn't cost more than a few dollars.

alpine
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I found some formica scraps and cut them to size , painted them light blue and taped them to the back of the tanks. They look Great.
Roberto.

Don Trinko
02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
poster paper at Wallmart. Don T.

Eyecandy
02-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi I used the light blue insulation sheets on the back and the side against the wall. The fish's colors really look great and it saves on the heating bill. You can just use a bit of tape or velcro to hold it in place since they are so light. Sue:D

waters10
02-24-2009, 11:25 PM
The blue side has writing on them. What I did was I spray paint one side blue and tape it to the tank.

The biggest benefits are added insulation and you can do it to a tank that is already set up.
Yes, the blue side had writing on them, but depending on the size of the tank, you can get enough area with no writings. I got the back (48x22) and bottom (48x18) with no writing from one sheet. And like I said, they even cut to size.

FLGirl1977
02-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Jo Ann's or Michael's has large poster-board for cheap. You could even get the thicker type so that it doesn't bend or warp.. for a few bucks. You could do ANY color you wanted! ;)

Ceahorse
02-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Id go with the insulation slabs. the constuction paper, would be super cheap, but any splash on them will ruin them and then you gotta move your tank, tear it off and reapply some.

If your super careful, it might be fine.

To be honest tho. I like to refill my tanks as slow as possible, and there has been times with the sound of water splashing on the floor has pulled me away from whatever task i was doing to use the time.

I also really like the saving on heating that it will provide. It's not huge but im sure it will make up for the cost difference between the paper and the slabs.

Ceaz.

Eddie
02-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Id go with the insulation slabs. the constuction paper, would be super cheap, but any splash on them will ruin them and then you gotta move your tank, tear it off and reapply some.

Ceaz.

Thats why its best to just PAINT it, if you don't like the color, do what I do........get another tank and paint it a different color! LOL

Eddie

mcsinny99
02-25-2009, 03:41 AM
FLEECE!
I don't know why more people aren't using it, but it's washable and comes in many colors. I use white and have all backgrounds (well most of them) with fleece and velcro so I can take them offf and wash them if needed. Another good fact about wool, it dries very fast.

J

ps
and comes in many colors

Eddie
02-25-2009, 03:44 AM
FLEECE!
I don't know why more people aren't using it, but it's washable and comes in many colors. I use white and have all backgrounds (well most of them) with fleece and velcro so I can take them offf and wash them if needed. Another good fact about wool, it dries very fast.

J

ps
and comes in many colors

I can see it now, every pet store will not only carry dog and cat outfits but aquarium ones too. Nice little striped fleece sweater for the 125 gallon. LOL

Eddie

waters10
02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
FLEECE!

J

ps
and comes in many colors
That's a very interesting idea! I might consider this, together with my insulation panel. I saw that picture you put of that RSG with white fleece as the background. I thought it looked very cool!

detoli
02-28-2009, 09:20 AM
I used paintable wallpaper. You can get a variety of patterns and paint it what ever color you like. I painted mine a light blue and it worked out great. An added bonus is that is water proof.
You can buy it at Lowes.