PDA

View Full Version : Plants starting to grow algae

iplayazi
02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
How many hours of light should I do to prevent algae growth on my plants? Its starting to grow on the leaves on my plant. Green algae on glass and brownish on the leaves. I think I am on 12on 12 off maybe less on but any info would be fantastic!

Thanks

http://www.pbase.com/iplayazi/image/109549628/large.jpg

Chad Hughes
02-24-2009, 04:43 PM
You may want to drop back to 8 hours. What are you using for fertilizer and CO2? How many watts (average) are you using?

shane2008
02-26-2009, 12:26 AM
I agree with avionics30, reduce your light to 8 hours per day and see what happens. Make sure you have good CO2 and have good flow in the tank.

nesser
02-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Sorry im of topic but do you know what name you're pb discus is mine looks identical. A red mellon look but with black fin tips and yellower face and fadeing from red to yellow,ive herd of a "Yellow face red melon"but I have no clue.PS feedings reak havok on algea in my tank,FD brine and anything that sinks on the leaves,I turn my current off when feeding ,dont overfeed,scrub leaves from time to time.I have my lights on 12 and 12 aswell at 2wpg.

KDodds
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Those are Anubias, right?

Okay, Anubias are notorious for slow growth and becoming grown over in algae. They don't need a whole lot of light, or CO2, or fertilizing. Good beginner's plants. They should NOT be planted in gravel or sand, but rather tied to driftwood or stones with their roots bared. Otocinclus will make short work of the film, if you're willing to try them. Otherwise, lessened photoperiod, more WCs, cut back on any fertilizing (if possible). You can rub the algae off, usually, with a thmb before it gets too bad, or a very soft (extra soft) toothbrush. If you leave the algae where it is, more likely than not the leaves will yellow and die. I'd get the plants out of the gravel too.

iplayazi
03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes it is a low maint plant. That's why I got them I much rather have them because my discus are high maint enough LOL. I cut my light to 8 hrs and I am gonna try to strap them to driftwood with an elastic band.

Thanks guys

Wahter
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Actually, that type of brown algae is caused by diatoms/ silicates in the water. You can get rid of it with otocinclus or sometimes increasing the intensity (not duration) of the lighting.

There's a good Algae guide here:
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Walter

icemanx23
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Brown algae is usually present newly setup tank and low light tank with longer photo period. Having otto or pleco will take care of it right away. But i wouldn't recommend it. It's easy to scrub and will disappear eventually once the tank stabilize.

Tito
03-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Leave your lights alone! Get ottos!

I keep ottos always when I do a planted tank. I also keep MTS to stir sand. These are like the best kept secrets!

You get rid of algea and detritus the natural way.

Ottos do their job very quicly so supplement with algea tabs or you will begin loosing them to starvation.

nickmcmechan
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
IMO everyone is part right on this one.

For a bit of clarity plants need the following nutrients to thrive in the following order:

1 Light - recommened is 2 watts per gallon for most, 1.5wpg for low tech
2 Carbon - either through iquid source, pressurised CO2 or leave alone for low tech
3 Macro nutrients - NPK, Mg, Ca, dose manually (although most water has enough Mg and Ca anyways) or let fish wast produce it for low tech
4. Micro Nutrients - the standard plant food the shops sell, full dose for high tech, 1/4 dose for low

That's a very ROUGH guide to it. Its all about getting balance.

The normal photoperiod for plants in nature is ~10 hours, don't go more than 12 or less than 8.

I woud agree that the plant is Anubias Var. but agree it should not be planted in the substrate as the Rhizome may eventually rot.

I would also agree that its the type of algae typical of new setups, rub it off with your fingers every water change until things settle.

A team of Otos will do a good job helping you with this stuff.