PDA

View Full Version : NADA

mcsinny99
02-25-2009, 01:23 AM
I hate to ask, but here we are.;)
Is Nada a dead board? I just joined and I noticed the activity on the boards is slow at best. Some of the top (meaning top for when) posts are from 12-2008. Anyone else a member? Seems very small.

John_Nicholson
02-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Nope NADA is a long way from dead. In fact I would stay tune for some exciting news coming this summer...

-john

Diamond Discus
02-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I am a member of NADA. ;)

yim11
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
The forum isn't active but the group is...I'm a member.

HTHs,
-jim

alpine
02-25-2009, 04:27 PM
mcs, funny you ask that question now...NADA is not dead by Far . At this time it might more alive than it has been in a long time . I am a member and I think NADA has a bright future.

Roberto Munoz.

rickztahone
02-25-2009, 10:12 PM
id like to check out the site....link?

Eddie
02-25-2009, 10:13 PM
I tried to become a member a few months back but the site kept diverting the payment option. Any tips on what to do?

Eddie

alpine
02-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Eddie, we will love to have you as a member ...

Roberto.

Eddie
02-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Eddie, we will love to have you as a member ...

Roberto.

Sounds great Roberto, where do I sign! LOL

I'll give the site another try for making the payment and see if I get the same error. If so, I'll post the error message and see if some one can work it out.

Thanks Roberto.

Eddie

Eddie
02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
It's done! The payment worked through the site! I'm now officially a member...I think :o.

Thats great!

Eddie

korbi_doc
02-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I've been a member since day 1, & I think the outlook is better than ever...don't guage it by the inactivity of the forum...many of the forums have been very slow of late, exc for SD of course, lol, but things will get better as spring arrives...I believe that most ppl just have so much going on in their lives that it is tough to keep up to things.....just so many water changes to do & then there's family & work too, lol.....

Dottie ;);)

MostlyDiscus
02-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Im in. someone tell me where to send money.:wave:

Ed

Eddie
02-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Im in. someone tell me where to send money.:wave:

Ed

Hey Ed! Come one come ALL!!!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67548

Eddie

MostlyDiscus
02-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Tanks BH. Nice to see our Japanese rep is still doing business haha:D

Eddie
02-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Hey, NADA can be trans continental! LOL

Eddie

MostlyDiscus
02-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Oh yes of course... but your still the man in Japan Bro

yogi
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Hello NADA is not dead and as John said in the second post please stay tuned. The NADA forum is not looking to be like Simply nor compete with Simply. Our forum is more for the business purposes of NADA. If you want to see what NADA is currently up to just go to www.discusnada.org and have a look. We are currently running an on line discus show with prizes. You do not even have to be a NADA member to enter.

I really don't want to be posting this in Simply's general discus section because it is really more for the NADA section of Simply. In brief NADA is a non profit 501(c)(3) incorporation. NADA uses it money to spread education and showing of discus. We sponsor the discus class and provide a first place plaque at various fish shows around the U.S. and Canada. We also make sure that discus are not forgotten at the ACA convention.

At the convention we sponsor the discus division and one of the classes. We will be paying for the extension cords and power strips this year so people can run heaters in their discus tanks. Cary Strong will be our speaker at this years ACA convention. We also have a table at the convention to promote ourselves. We also take the time while working the table to explain to people how to keep discus. There are still a lot of people out there who think discus are some hard to keep mysterious fish, especially the African Cichlid keepers. We also tell these people to go to Simply or DAAH to learn more than we can explain right at the table.

mcsinny99
02-26-2009, 02:43 AM
I did not mean to stir up a hornets nest here. I realize nada is not dead, what I was referring to is the forum. I just thought their may be more activity is all (as in number of posts). Sorry if I offended anyone.

dishpanhands
02-26-2009, 03:51 AM
Sorry but if you were more like this site I would be there. I don't want to give money for some booth at a convention that I and most won't attend. I don't want to buy a bunch of trophies for some contest held by some board member in some little corner of the world. JMO

Eddie
02-26-2009, 04:59 AM
Sorry but if you were more like this site I would be there. I don't want to give money for some booth at a convention that I and most won't attend. I don't want to buy a bunch of trophies for some contest held by some board member in some little corner of the world. JMO

Thats great dish, NADA isn't trying to be like Simply or take away from Simply. Alot of members are members on here. And you must not have read that NADA is a non-profit organization.

Eddie

dishpanhands
02-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Thats great dish, NADA isn't trying to be like Simply or take away from Simply. Alot of members are members on here. And you must not have read that NADA is a non-profit organization.

Eddie

I don't care if they are nonprofit..Why do I want to pay Ford to go to a Chevrolet convention. thats the way it went at the last one. I would reather see them go to a big dog show.. I'm here for the entry level keepers to start keeping I'm not for trying to convert others.

Eddie
02-26-2009, 05:16 AM
I don't care if they are nonprofit..Why do I want to pay Ford to go to a Chevrolet convention. thats the way it went at the last one. I would reather see them go to a big dog show.. I'm here for the entry level keepers to start keeping I'm not for trying to convert others.

Hey... Ford and Chevrolet are both american made...LOL

I like hondas personally. :D

Eddie

Diamond Discus
02-26-2009, 07:09 AM
All I know is you guys better get ready to see my name flashing on the NADA home page March 1st as the winner of the raffle for Han's discus.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Eddie
02-26-2009, 07:50 AM
All I know is you guys better get ready to see my name flashing on the NADA home page March 1st as the winner of the raffle for Han's discus.

Wish you luck Sue!

Eddie

dishpanhands
02-26-2009, 01:18 PM

I heard on the grapevine that there was some nice contest discus coming from here before long. If you don't get fish from NADA maybe you can try here... Good Luck!!

Diamond Discus
02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Wish you luck Sue!

EddieThanks Eddie, I won't hold my breath...:p

I heard on the grapevine that there was some nice contest discus coming from here before long. If you don't get fish from NADA maybe you can try here... Good Luck!!

Hmmmmm....sounds interesting......gotta love that grapevine! :fish:

Kindredspirit
02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
gotta love that grapevine! :fish:

LOL! Really though!

dishpanhands
02-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Shhhh Here the link to the grapevine....LOL...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68526

Diamond Discus
02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
LOL! Really though!
Well hello there Marie! How goes it in Cali? ;)

Kindredspirit
02-26-2009, 08:29 PM
It goes very well!:)

yogi
03-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Some of you might be waiting to hear things through the grapevine, but this comes from the horses mouth. Today is March 1st and the flashing winning name of the Discus Raffle for discus from Discus Han's is Sue Bauman. Congratulations Sue! www.discusnada.org

John_Nicholson
03-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Congrats Sue!!!!!!

Looking forward to the next one Yogi. Maybe one day I will win...LOL.

-john

Diamond Discus
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh my gosh!!!! I ACTUALLY WON!

Get the smelling salts, I think I'm going to faint!!:bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce2:

yogi
03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Well Sue it took extra day to reach you, but you sure sound happy.

John we will be doing one more to raise money for NADA's expenses at the ACA, and then who knows what might happen.

Eddie
03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Congrats Sue, thats AMAZING. You are so lucky!

Eddie

yim11
03-02-2009, 11:23 PM

It's on the homepage!

CONGRATULATIONS SUE! Hopefully you will post pics of the prize once they get settled in!

-jim

Diamond Discus
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Some of you might be waiting to hear things through the grapevine, but this comes from the horses mouth. Today is March 1st and the flashing winning name of the Discus Raffle for discus from Discus Han's is Sue Bauman. Congratulations Sue! www.discusnada.org (http://www.discusnada.org)

I was so stunned, I had to run and get my husband to read your email also so I could be sure I was not dreaming!! We are on vacation right now and it was the first email I opened when we got hooked up to wireless. LOL

Congrats Sue!!!!!!

Looking forward to the next one Yogi. Maybe one day I will win...LOL.

-johnThanks John!

Well Sue it took extra day to reach you, but you sure sound happy.

John we will be doing one more to raise money for NADA's expenses at the ACA, and then who knows what might happen.

LOL Yes Jerry, I am way more than happy!! Thanks so much for waiting for me to respond. Of all days to go out of town....LOL

Congrats Sue, thats AMAZING. You are so lucky!

EddieLuck is exactly what it is, Eddie!! It really is amazing!

It's on the homepage!

CONGRATULATIONS SUE! Hopefully you will post pics of the prize once they get settled in!

-jimThanks Jim...you can bet will be flooding the forum with pictures.

Diamond Discus
03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi guys, I'm in a quandry and I need your input and help in deciding which strain or strains to select. I have 2 options: I can choose all the same strain and not worry about bad pairing choices or I can choose 2 of each strains I like.

I really don't care about breeding, but hey, it happens. I think since I will be choosing NO Pigeon Blood I should be OK. Right or wrong??

I like the Blue Snakeskin, Red Scribbled, Snake X Solid, and Red Turquoise, and may buy 4 extra to make 2 of each strain. Probably any one of these would be OK if they paired wouldn't they?? Otherwise I need to choose just one strain and if I had to do that it would be between the Red Scribbled and the Snake X Solid.

These will end up in the planted 178 eventually after QT ansd a bit more grow out. Ideas?? Suggestions?? We have set a tentative ship date for the 6th of April, but I have not given Hans my choices yet.

Here is the web site with pictures of strains.
http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/pages/galerie2/galerie2e.html

Ideas?? Suggestions??

Thanks
Sue

Scribbles
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Personaly I like variety. But, you can't go wrong with any of Hans' discus. I currently have 2 red Scribbled and 2 blue snakeskin from Hans as well as 4 others and they are all brilliant.

alpine
03-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Sue, the Brilliants are very nice . My other choice will be the Red Turks. Enjoy them.
Roberto.

Eddie
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Red turqs or Red scribbled.

Eddie

Diamond Discus
03-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Personaly I like variety. But, you can't go wrong with any of Hans' discus. I currently have 2 red Scribbled and 2 blue snakeskin from Hans as well as 4 others and they are all brilliant.I appreciate yout input. I kind of figured it would be a tough choice to choose just one. :p

Sue, the Brilliants are very nice . My other choice will be the Red Turks. Enjoy them.
Roberto.Thanks Roberto...:D

Red turqs or Red scribbled.

EddieLove both! Thanks! ;)

Palue
03-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Hello, well I now have to joing NADA as well. Just recieved an email regarding my Cobalt Blue Discus that I entered in the online contest and I won first place.....:bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

I am truly excited and shocked, many beautiful entries were submitted.

Palue

Greg Richardson
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Congrats!

brewmaster15
03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Congratulations Palue!!:)

-al

Palue
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks, if you go to the NADA site you will see my big guy there.

John_Nicholson
03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Congrats. Its a nice fish.

-john

DiscusKeeper403
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Didn't win, but 7th down is mine :P

Congrats Palue on winning!!!

John_Nicholson
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
DiscusLova You have a nice fish but the picture you submitted made it almost impossible to judge it. I would love to see some other pics of your fish.

-john

DiscusKeeper403
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks John, I will remember that for next time! :)

Palue
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks DiscusLova, you have a very beautiful fish. The colors are amazing.

yogi
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Yes the results are in and Debbie "Palue" won first place, I took second place and Roberto "Alpine" took third. The rest of the fish are posted in no particular order, there just posted so you can see all the entries. http://www.discusnada.org/photocontest.html If you want to contact the judges with a question on your fish you can pm John Nicholson or Larry Maticheck "ShinShin". I want to say congratulations to Palue. I also want the rest of you to know our next show will be in May and it will be for striated discus. This will include both wide and narrow striations so Red-Turqs, Snakeskins and Pigeons will all be competing against each other. I will be contacting Dr's Foster and Smith tomorrow to email the winners their gift certificates.

ShinShin
03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Palue,

Congratulations on the winning discus in NADA's first photo contest.

Yogi,

Congratulations on almost winning. ;)

Roberto,

Congratulations on almost beating yogi. It was close. ;)

DiscusLova,

As John said, we couldn't get a good look at your fish. Sorry. I thought it was a nice shade of blue, however, if that helps.

Mat

John_Nicholson
03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Jerry I would love to see a better pic of your fish also. I think it is probably a really, really nice fish but your photo skills...well sux...LOL.

-john

Eddie
03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Congrats Debbie! That is fantastic! WOW!!!

All the best!

Eddie

Eddie
03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks John, I will remember that for next time! :)

DiscusLova,

I told you the picture was gonna be hard to judge. Your fish looks great but that picture just didn't give him any justice. Your fish is super nice IMO.

Eddie

Palue
03-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks everyone, I am very proud of my fish that is for sure. Being new to Discus has been alot of fun. I use to breed Angelfish years ago and have kept all sorts of tropical fish for over 20 some years.

My newest adventure 5 years ago is the hobby of saltwater, I keep a nano tank and its been fun but wow very expensive. Thats why I keep a nano.

Discus have always had a place in my heart, they are beautiful fish.

I always wanted to have a nice display tank of Discus and 3 weeks ago that came true, so now my blue guy has some friends and all are doing very well at this point.

I call him the "mediator" two of the pigeon bloods sometimes get into a little discussion and he is right there to break them up, quite funny to watch.

Thanks again NADA for choosing my fish, all the others are equally as beautiful.

:angel:

DiscusKeeper403
03-23-2009, 11:15 PM
DiscusLova,

I told you the picture was gonna be hard to judge. Your fish looks great but that picture just didn't give him any justice. Your fish is super nice IMO.

Eddie

I know Eddie, I should have took your advice, just didn't get around to submitting another picture, no time on my hands! LOL

Greg Richardson
03-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Have to agree with John about your photo skill Jerry.
Jerry it's a contest.
Digit camera.
We aren't talking about film cost here.
A bit more effort eh? LOL!

2nd and 3rd if better picture and angle might have made it very close.

yogi
03-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Yes my camera skills suck. It also doesn't help when the fish is camera shy. It took about 70 pictures over 3 days to get that shot. I said enough is enough and went with best I could get.

When I decided for NADA to do an online show I didn't realize it would be so hard to get a real good picture. When you come to the tank with the camera most of the fish come forward to see what you want, or they think your going to feed them. What you do want is for them to go sideways with their fins erect. And then there is that blue I wanted to get a picture of and all he wanted to do was get as far away from the camera as possible.

Greg Richardson
03-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Jerry. Yep. I swear to it those fish know what you want to do. Did a photo contest for another forum and it sure took a lot of shots. No way would I do it if paying for film. I think the key is to take about ten each night. Get them use to it. Then go through couple weeks of pictures and narrow it down.

Diamond Discus
03-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Hello, well I now have to joing NADA as well. Just recieved an email regarding my Cobalt Blue Discus that I entered in the online contest and I won first place.....:bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

I am truly excited and shocked, many beautiful entries were submitted.

Palue

I just looked at that yesterday Palue, congratulations!! That is very exciting!

Diamond Discus
03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
About the raffle fish: Hans made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I had finally decided what to order, and submitted a request for Hans to personally pick out 4 Red Scribbled for my raffle fish and I'd buy 4 more as well. He told me if I wanted to make a list of 8 of my favorite Stendker strains, he would personally pick 2 each out of 4 different strains that he thinks I would like. He gets a lot of neat fish in that can't be advertised for sale because there is not enough to go around (he does not even know what to call them) so I may get some really exotic ones. We are looking at an April 6th shipping date. I'm getting really excited! I love surprises!!

Eddie
03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
About the raffle fish: Hans made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I had finally decided what to order, and submitted a request for Hans to personally pick out 4 Red Scribbled for my raffle fish and I'd buy 4 more as well. He told me if I wanted to make a list of 8 of my favorite Stendker strains, he would personally pick 2 each out of 4 different strains that he thinks I would like. He gets a lot of neat fish in that can't be advertised for sale because there is not enough to go around (he does not even know what to call them) so I may get some really exotic ones. We are looking at an April 6th shipping date. I'm getting really excited! I love surprises!!

That great news Sue. Post pictures after they settle. Can't wait to see them

Eddie

yogi
04-22-2009, 09:08 AM
In case any of you haven't noticed NADA is currently doing another raffle. This time it's for discus from Cary Strong of Great Lakes Discus. This link has the information about it. Thanks, http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70614

Eddie
04-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Jerry, come on! You know I'd love to participate in this one. Man I gotta get back to the states for these NADA raffles! ;)

Eddie