PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water or Young Male?

above design
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a pair of Turks that have been laying eggs once a week for 3 months. The eggs never turn into wigglers. They turn white usually after about 28 hours and then are eaten. This is a young pair. My best guess is that they are around 10-11 months old. I have very hard water. So, if my water is too hard I am asuming that they might not ever hatch. Also, I have read that males mature later than females. I am not sure if the eggs are not hatching because my water is to hard or because the male is not fertile yet. How long should I wait to seperate them and put them in a breeding tank with R/O?

Thanks for any advice!

-Mark

William Palumbo
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I would put them in a breeding tank with RO water. The hard water will continually fungus your eggs and waste your time. Just make sure you do have a male and female together, and that he makes runs over the eggs after the female deposits them...Bill

above design
02-25-2009, 11:30 AM
I would put them in a breeding tank with RO water. The hard water will continually fungus your eggs and waste your time. Just make sure you do have a male and female together, and that he makes runs over the eggs after the female deposits them...Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, they are deffinitely a pair. I have seen the female lay the eggs and the male pass over them numerous times. They seem like they will both be good parents because they are very attentitive to the eggs.

Thanks for your help!

- Mark

William Palumbo
02-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Mark...I would for sure not waste anymore time and get them into some soft(RO) water. I think you should see some Discus fry that way...Bill

White Worm
02-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Yep, most likely the Gh - Hardness. Try a breeding tank with 1/3 tap and 2/3 RO to start with.

above design
02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for your help guys. Now comes the fun stuff!:D

- Mark