PDA

View Full Version : USING RO RIGHT FOR BREEDING.

patrick richard
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I am setting up some more breeding tanks for a couple of my pairs, and I have a qestion about using RO right. I have mixed the rcommended amounts like the bottle says. I used 5 gallons RO water and 1 tsp. of RO right. The only question is that the PH is staying real low. Should I raise it up with some baking soda? after mixing the RO water and the RO right my PH is in the low
5's. Wondering what I should do?

Thanks for any advice.

Patrick

Rod
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Patrick,

That seems quite unusual!! Have you ph tested your pure ro water, normally you should get a slightly acid reading around 6.5. The addition of the buffer is unlikely to drop the ph, in my case it always stays at around 6.5. What about the pretreatment water, what ph does that have? Have you calibrated your probe recently? Do you aerate your product water before testing?

mikesmac
02-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Hello,

I could never figure out the Ro Right product either..... much easier to just do partial straight tap to the rest RO. My water source water varies from season to season but usually the mix that's good for breeders ( only if I'm having low hatch rates with my standard mixture) is around 20% straight tap(filtered) to 80% RO. This mixture for me puts my PH right at 6.5 without having to add any acid and the TDS at around 30. You'll have to experiment with your water to come up with the right mix with it. With the TDS being this low the PH may still want to drop on you depending on how often you do water changes, how well established your filtration in the tank is and how much you feed , but I've found it much easier and much more stable with this method..... and found there really wasn't a need for the RO right product. Keep in mind that this is only needed until the eggs are laid and fertilized.... (even though some people wait until the fry attach to the parents) after that it's not necessary to have the low TDS, and water changes can start going back to whatever is normal for you.

Mike

patrick richard
02-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi Rod and Mike,

I have tried the RO/tap water mix, and I was getting very low hatch rates. I thought I would try the RO right. I will have to try calibrating my meter again. I stopped airaiting my RO water a while ago. Should I airate it again?. I guess I will have to keep playing around till I get it right.

Thanks,
Patrick

Rod
02-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Try aerating and see what happens, it is possible there is an acidic compound in the water and aerating could remove it.

Good advice Mike :)

patrick richard
02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Rod,

I will try aerating the water tomorrow when I get home.

Thanks,
Patrick

Chad Hughes
02-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Patrick,

If the RO right doesn't workout for you try filtering your tap water through a carbon filter prior to adding it to your RO water. This takes out some of the nasty tap stuff without disturbing the GH/KH of your tap. RO Right doesn't offer too much on the KH side. The product is meant to restore micro and macro salts that are essential while maintaining a low Ph, hence the purpose for RO water (other than purification).

Best wishes!

salth20
02-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I am setting up some more breeding tanks for a couple of my pairs, and I have a qestion about using RO right. I have mixed the rcommended amounts like the bottle says. I used 5 gallons RO water and 1 tsp. of RO right. The only question is that the PH is staying real low. Should I raise it up with some baking soda? after mixing the RO water and the RO right my PH is in the low
5's. Wondering what I should do?

Thanks for any advice.

Patrick
The instructions on the jar of RO Right I have say 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons to get a discus mix of about 80 to 125 TDS. Your PH could be buffered up with baking soda, but I'd look for something more secure, perhaps Neutral Regulator from Seachem. Double check your water from the RO unit. My tap water is terrible, and even after RO, it is still above a PH of 7 and around 6 degrees on GH. Tap is well above 8, and off the scale GH. I thought maybe my RO membrane was weak, but two other RO units in my area show basically the same output. I'm collecting rain water to bring down the overall mix. Mertle and Fred are still doing their dance about every 8 days, so something must be right. Try this link if you want...http://stason.org/TULARC/animals/aquaria/beginning-fishkeeping/35-General-Hardness-GH.html

G550
02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
isnt RO right just going to raise the gh at least that is what it says on the bottle. I believe it does nothing for your KH which is what is buffering the acid. I may be wrong so if anyone has any more to add to this please straighten me out if Im wrong.
Just got my first batch of fry to finally attach today after 6 months tried a different female male combo and this female has only had 2 batched and she has it right so far starting to hatch the brine tonight.:D:angel::D

Chad Hughes
02-26-2009, 10:17 PM
isnt RO right just going to raise the gh at least that is what it says on the bottle. I believe it does nothing for your KH which is what is buffering the acid. I may be wrong so if anyone has any more to add to this please straighten me out if Im wrong.
Just got my first batch of fry to finally attach today after 6 months tried a different female male combo and this female has only had 2 batched and she has it right so far starting to hatch the brine tonight.:D:angel::D

No, you're right. The RO right doesn't touch the KH. It's meant to restore the GH and still allow the Ph to remain low. If it added everything back to the RO water then you could just use tap water. If you still need tobump the KH up a bit add baking soda.

Congratulations on the fry! Try and get some sleep! I know how it feels to be a proud fry daddy!

Best wishes!