PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Red Shrimp

KDodds
02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
In case anyone is looking, you know that these guys can go for $2, $3, or even $5 online or at an LFS. I just ordered 100 from theshrimptank.com at 80¢ each. He also has "wild type" (clear) for 60¢ in the same qtys. Shipping is excellent, breather bags with a heatpack in densely packed shredded paper, $30 USPS Express. Just thought I'd share.

tacks
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Thank you and could you let us know how they look when you get them. tkanks Ed

KDodds
02-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Already got them. No DOAs, a fair mtx of jumbo, large, medium, small, and tiny. I stopped counting at 90, when it was obvious that there were at least 10 more, probably close to 20 more, or 10 or so extra. At least one is carrying eggs, possibly three more.

bs6749
02-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I'd be interested in seeing how they look. The cost often depends on the quality of the shrimp and the amount of red coverage. I sell mine when they are about 1/4" for 4/$5 or 20/$20 and I guarantee live arrival on my shrimp and they have much more red than common strains.

Why did you order so many? You are aware that they are extremely easy to breed right? Most people tell me that the ones I send them are breeding for them within 3-5 weeks! Maybe it's just my strain though.

KDodds
02-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Of course, the little ones are difficult to tell. The larger ones are fairly red, some redder than others, none clear. They're in a planted 135 so getting a picture would be difficult. If you're into "show shrimp", this ain't them, not the whole lot anyway. I'm using them as detritivores, not just "oddities", so I wanted to start with a pretty hefty initial load. Almost all of them were over ¼", most closer to ½", some larger. I went with the higher load to combat any initial predation that might have occurred. So far, so good, haven't seen a one eaten.

rickztahone
02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
that's how mine were initially, they went into the the 125 and at first they were all good, they didn't get eaten. then i noticed fewer and fewer and finally i saw no more in the main tank. it was a good thing that i had used a QT box inside the tank hanging with the ones that were pregnant, now i have close to maybe 100 in QT but i can't foresee me taking them out any time soon because when i released the last batch they were already adults and super red. i got mine on aquabid for 15 for $15 shipped, great guy

bs6749
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Speaking of "oddity" red cherry shrimp, I noticed an albino in my 55g tank 2 or so weeks ago. I'm really interested in seeing if I can get some albino RCS going. I haven't seen it in some time though, but if it's in there I will find it this weekend sime I'm going through that tank and transferring it to a 29g and moving my juvenile discus over to the 55g to finish growing out.

plymbloke
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
if anyone in the UK wants cherry shrimp - i have hundreds lol!

Chad Hughes
03-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Another good source is on aquariacentral.com.

There are a few home breeders that sell for $.50. I bought 20 before, $30 shipped. Pretty great deal, well packaged, no DOA, thriving in my tank! THese shrimp are young, but they plump up and turn red in about a week. Just another option!

Best wishes.

BABYJIZAY
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
So do you keep cherry shrimp with discus, or are they a meal?

Chad Hughes
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I keep a seperate tank. Discus would eat them I would imagine, assuming that they could catch them. They're pretty fast!

KDodds
03-03-2009, 01:45 PM
No discus in with mine (yet), just bleeding hearts, C. sterbai, marble hatchets and otos.