PDA

View Full Version : help?!

marnold
03-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Is it normal for Discus to loose their slim coat during water changes?I did a few more water changes than normal the past few days. Due to one of the filters being replaced and not being seeded.Yesterday I noticd bubbles forming on a few fish then later saw thier slim coming off.All fish were on their sides this morning.Water checks out fine no NH3/NH4 same Ph as always 7.4.I use tap water at same temp as tank +/- 2-3 deg.Declor with declor as always.Fish are coming out of it a little as their not on their sides anymore and seem normal.The only exeption is the ones that lost their slime have some white blotches on their sides.Is this the slime coming back?Appetites are suffering a little but all have eaten some just not as much as normal.Were the extra w/c's to much stress on them?Do I need to do anything?

Eddie
03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey there Marnold, yeah, the slime coat is coming off. In my opinion, you can just wait it out and everything will return to normal. I know there are some water conditioners that provide slime coat.
Eddie

Al M.
03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Are you ageing your tap water ?

marnold
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks Basshead!No Al I have never aged my water?As of yet I have not had a reason to.I will give it time maybe I just stressed them out a little.

Eddie
03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Hey Marnold, you may need to start aging your water or not changing as much. This type of stress over a period of time can bring on issues with your fish,making them weak and allow the onset of disease.

Eddie

marnold
03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
I am considering it Basshead.I need to find a suitable barrel or trash can.2o-30 gallons then a heater and pump.I did change more than normal the past few times.I added a ehiem canister in replace of a mag 350 that was old and tired.Wow talk about media.Very nice filter.Everything is getting back to normal still a few white blotches but seems to be fading.Some how I knew I could get your help on here basshead.

Eddie
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
I am considering it Basshead.I need to find a suitable barrel or trash can.2o-30 gallons then a heater and pump.I did change more than normal the past few times.I added a ehiem canister in replace of a mag 350 that was old and tired.Wow talk about media.Very nice filter.Everything is getting back to normal still a few white blotches but seems to be fading.Some how I knew I could get your help on here basshead.

No problem, Al intervened also. I'm sure he would have told you the same thing.

I used to use to use 32 gallon rubbermaid containers. They were sturdy and I kept a heater in there that was the same wattage as that of the tank. I had a cheap powerhead that circulated the water, it set just above water level to keep a constant splash. I then would unplug the powerhead, attach a hose on the end and just drop the powerhead into the barrel. Then just plug in the powerhead to fill your aquarium.

Et viola.

Thats just the getto rig, I am sure there are far most sophisticated ways of doing it. LOL

Eddie

hedut
03-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I used to aged my water but Kenny told me just add prime before put tap water(warm) and it work until now. so my be you should try prime and good luck.
Hendri