PDA

View Full Version : How many in my 125?

fishyj
03-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Hi all. I will be getting my juvies this saturday and was wondering how many I can safely put in my 125? Also what might they look like when mature.(see post)http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69030
thanks for the help.

Eddie
03-02-2009, 04:40 AM
Hi all. I will be getting my juvies this saturday and was wondering how many I can safely put in my 125? Also what might they look like when mature.(see post)http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69030
thanks for the help.

10-12 and nobody can see the future. Treat them well and they will look like beauty's. ;)

Eddie

fishyj
03-02-2009, 05:00 AM
I plan on starting them on your seafood mix. Treating them right from the start!!

Eddie
03-02-2009, 05:12 AM
I plan on starting them on your seafood mix. Treating them right from the start!!

Sounds good Jim, looks like you'll be starting off in the right direction. LOL

Take care and best of luck with the new recruits

Eddie

William Palumbo
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi Jim...if the fry as STILL that small, like in the pic...It might be best to start them out in something smaller...depending on how many you get. If at that small size, and only a few in a 125 tank...they will probally have a hard time feeling at ease and settling down. Just a thought...Bill

ashaysathe
03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Who better than me.

If I tell you how much I keep probably I might be miss-leading you and also I fear friends on the forum will hire a bazooka and blast me out but I will tell you this 125g is a lot of water to put 12 juvies in there. I started off with 12 juvies (2.5" to 3 inch size) in 75 and they were still lost.

Here are your options:
1. Either have 12 - more than 2.5 inch fish - like 4 inch or more - Cost of fish upfront is high but also has high margin of error.

2. Have more than 12 - 2.5 to 3 inch fish. Dunno what the number is but if I say mine I fear I set a wrong example good part is you have a lot of fish to choose from and thin them down as they grow (which never happens :p ), many fish has shown me they eat better, they grow proportionate but down side is lot of fish is you need to be on top of filteration, water changes etc.

3. Have like a 55g tank for say 3 months with 12 - 2.5 to 3 inch fish and then upgrade them to 125.

All of these are my observations and a path i would take if I have to restart meaning not as in stop and start but to add another tank.

This is matter of opinion each having its ups and downs. As someone very recently told me - One must know its limitations. My limitation is I cannot add more tanks - so my choice was a contious decision until I am ready for the next step.

fishyj
03-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Well at this point can't get another tank(daughter getting married) so what I may do then is put a divider in tank and as they grow remove it. Thanks for the help.

thebigone
03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
If you are going BB then I would say 10-12 Adults. Rule of thumb is 10 gallons per adult fish. I had 10 in my 125 but it was planted. Depending on if you go planted and how heavily planted it is I would say 8-10 adults. With jives you could put in maybe 12-16, but as they grew you would have to take some out. IMO. It also varies on what type of filtration you have. On my 150 I have a fluval FX5 and 2 AueaClear 110s and it is stocked with 15. It also depends on how big of water chages you do and how often. HTH

Eddie
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Wow, those are some small fry! I couldn't see the picture from work last night. I'd suggest as Bill said, put them in a smaller tank until they get a little larger. A 30 gallon would probably be good.

Eddie

fishyj
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Can I put a tank divider in to make the tank only 2 ft. long?

Eddie
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Can I put a tank divider in to make the tank only 2 ft. long?

Why not just only fill it half way. ;)

Eddie

fishyj
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
That could work also. I'll have to test it out to see if my filters will work properly doing it that way.

Eddie
03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Just get a couple of sponge filters.

Using the entire tank with just a divider will make more work for you. You will have the entire tank to wipe down. Using only half will be a million times easier. You may need a step stool, but I am sure it will be a billion times better.

Eddie

Ceahorse
03-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Whats the problem with using the whole tank. Why is the overkill a problem.. Just the finances of the water volume?
Or does the space, after they are out of shock of the move, create some feeling of insecruity?

Eddie
03-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Whats the problem with using the whole tank. Why is the overkill a problem.. Just the finances of the water volume?
Or does the space, after they are out of shock of the move, create some feeling of insecruity?

Just alot of extra space they don't need yet. One will wander off and never come back. LOL They will be better of in a smaller area until they get a little larger. It easy to control water parameters also.

Eddie

fishyj
03-03-2009, 12:54 AM
I didn't understand the water par. thing. If you do the water changes are you not controling the water par.? Its probably to me about them not needing the space at this point and wasting water that I don't need too. Eddie, by the way can I feed them that sea food mix at this stage or wait till they get a little bigger.

Eddie
03-03-2009, 01:03 AM
I didn't understand the water par. thing. If you do the water changes are you not controling the water par.? Its probably to me about them not needing the space at this point and wasting water that I don't need too. Eddie, by the way can I feed them that sea food mix at this stage or wait till they get a little bigger.

Definitely you can feed them that! They will grow fast.

Doing WC does control water parameters but it's easier to remove 10 gallons of ammonia or nitrite than it is 50 gallons. Always need to watch your water parameters especially when adding fish to a tank and feeding them heavily. You will see a mini-cycle occur. A slight spike in ammonia and nitrite.

Eddie

fishyj
03-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks for all your help.