PDA

View Full Version : eggs not being fertile.

springer
03-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I had purchased 7 young discus at the age of 4 months from the same strain. Kept them all together in the same tank. After about 4 months they paired off and I had two mated pairs that where laying eggs in this tank. I separated them and gave each pair a tank of their own. The water paremeters are correct but none of their eggs hatch. I have observed the males fertilizing the eggs, however after a couple of days the eggs do not hatch and they are eaten and within 7 days they lay again. I have come to the conclusion that they are to young they would be 8 1/2 months old. I am told that when they are constantly laying eggs they will not grow. So what should a person do now. Separate them and let them mature more, put the males together and the females together in separate tanks and let them mature more. Or should one just leave them how they are to mature. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Eddie
03-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Your water might not be soft enough.

springer
03-02-2009, 11:19 PM
My water has a p.h. of 6 and is very close to 100% ro. gh is 30 kl is 80. Hope this explains it. Thank you for the reply.

Eddie
03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
As I have zero experience in breeding, may try to post in the Breeding Discus Section. Title it "Please Help"

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-03-2009, 11:53 AM
It's likely that your pair is just young. What is the water current like in your tank? If it's too swift, that could cause problems. This is why most breeders use sponge filters. Another item to consider is temperature. 83 degrees is a good temp. Your water seem fine.

I have never heard that a spawning pair would stop growing, so I can't help you there.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes!!