PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a Georgia newbie!

MickYoumans
03-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Hello all! I知 new to this forum and discus fish, but not new to aquariums. I知 54 and have had aquariums since I was 9. I have been interested in discus fish for quite a while but have never tried keeping any since there is not a good local source for them. After reading this forum and other sites, I now know some good mail order sources and plan on setting up a discus tank in my den. I currently have a 55 gallon community tank in the den that will be moved to the bedroom and replaced with a 135 for the discus.

I am an engineer that loves flying airplanes and making music. I am a guitar fanatic. On the side I also do websites. If you are into guitars you can check out this website I manage for Thorn Guitars in Glendale California. He is one of the best electric guitar builders on the planet.

Thorn Guitars (http://www.thornguitars.com)

I知 looking forward to getting my discus tank set up soon. I know I will probably need everyone痴 expertise from time to time.

My son, Chris, has three tanks, one of which is discus. I told him about this forum, so I知 sure he値l be posting soon too.

Roxanne
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Welcome to Simply Mick:)

Autumn Wind
04-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Hello and welcome!
Nice website, easy to navigate and great pictures. I got lost in there for 20 minutes and I don't even play guitar :D
vanessa

DiscusDude85
04-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Hello all! I知 new to this forum and discus fish, but not new to aquariums. I知 54 and have had aquariums since I was 9. I have been interested in discus fish for quite a while but have never tried keeping any since there is not a good local source for them. After reading this forum and other sites, I now know some good mail order sources and plan on setting up a discus tank in my den. I currently have a 55 gallon community tank in the den that will be moved to the bedroom and replaced with a 135 for the discus.

I am an engineer that loves flying airplanes and making music. I am a guitar fanatic. On the side I also do websites. If you are into guitars you can check out this website I manage for Thorn Guitars in Glendale California. He is one of the best electric guitar builders on the planet.

Thorn Guitars (http://www.thornguitars.com)

I知 looking forward to getting my discus tank set up soon. I know I will probably need everyone痴 expertise from time to time.

My son, Chris, has three tanks, one of which is discus. I told him about this forum, so I知 sure he値l be posting soon too.

An engineer? O NO. lol My worst enemy. Im a land surveyor. Making your plans come true is no easy task. Engineers cant live with em cant live without em. HAHA. Welcome to simply discus. Make yourself at home.

Joe

Elite Aquaria
04-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Welcome to Simply...I am sure you will find all the info you need here to get started with Discus. I also play guitar and I would say that the pics on your site are awesome.

Eyecandy
04-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi there... from one Georgian to another... Welcome to simply.. without a doubt the best discus site ever:D:D:D.. Good luck in setting up the tank... Sue:D

MickYoumans
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all of the welcome comments and compliments on the Thorn website. My house remodeling has progressed to the point that I now have the 55 moved into the bedroom complete with a new fill and drain system. I am loving it. Constant water changes the easy way. When I have time, I'll try to post some pictures of my drain system. It is very inexpensive and easy to build and setup.

As soon as we can get the den tiled and painted I'll be setting up the 135 in there for discus. Any suggestions for a good glass polish to get the haze out. I've used vinegar to clean all mineral deposits off but there is still a visible haze I would love to polish out before I set it up. Has anyone tried cerium oxide before? Is it harmfull to fish?