PDA

View Full Version : Seeking better background

Yassmeena
03-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I have been looking for a light colored background for my BB 55 gallon and have found nothing!!!

I had the typical solid blue, but I want something VERY light that is not rocks.

I've googled and checked many LFS's with no success. Some have suggested taping together construction paper, but seams are so unsightly! :p

Can anyone recommend a good source? :confused:

poconogal
03-03-2009, 03:37 PM
I actually used contact paper, Robin's Egg Blue, and placed it on top of something called "oak tag". I had to tape the oak tag together and I could see the seam very slightly, but when this was put against the tank back, I really couldn't see any seam at all, just the very light blue contact paper. The Robin's Egg Blue looked great, but the odd thing is that at night, with tank lights on, it changes color to a light-medium gray for some reason.

fishyj
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Hey look on second page of this one if you want to try painting.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69346

frenchie100
03-03-2009, 06:34 PM
bought a white poster board and cut it. From Staples

Yassmeena
03-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Great ideas everyone - I'm so glad I asked!!!!!!!!!!

Patr1ck
03-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Home depot sells diferent types of removable window film that just peels right off. Its on their website. I just bought some of the non easily removed type yesterday.

Pat

aquadiva
03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
I have been looking for a light colored background for my BB 55 gallon and have found nothing!!!

I had the typical solid blue, but I want something VERY light that is not rocks.

I've googled and checked many LFS's with no success. Some have suggested taping together construction paper, but seams are so unsightly! :p

Can anyone recommend a good source? :confused:

I just took the advice on here and went to Lowe's and bought the light blue insulation board. I put it on my tank last night. Looks just fine, nice and light but being it is 1/2 inch thick, my Aqua Clear doesn't sit all the way down on the rim of the tank with it. It does still work though so I'm not worried about it.

In the past, I also just painted my own backbround and used a sponge as mentioned in another post. Used diff. colors and it turned out great! My tank is 125 gallons and already up and running so I can't paint it. The Lowe's insulation will due until my sister makes me a cool background for it. It was easy to cut and put up plus I like the insulation it gives since my tank is against a window and it's been zero degrees most of the winter!!

It's hard to believe that fish stores still have the same old backgrounds and why doesn't the manufacturer make a light blue one?? One would think that by now, there would be some "new" and different looks in their backgrounds but they look the same as they did years ago.

Anna:sun:

FLGirl1977
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Home depot sells diferent types of removable window film that just peels right off. Its on their website. I just bought some of the non easily removed type yesterday.

Pat

I can second the adhesive that you buy from Home Depot or Lowe's. It's in the window isle.. here is an example of my tank with a semi-transparent privacy glass adhesive... here's a link to see what the background looks like:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=509486#post509486

aquadiva
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I can second the adhesive that you buy from Home Depot or Lowe's. It's in the window isle.. here is an example of my tank with a semi-transparent privacy glass adhesive... here's a link to see what the background looks like:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=509486#post509486

Very nice!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mmorris
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I used the sponge technique on a few of my tanks. I mix white and blue to my taste, sponge the blue onto the tank, let it dry, then mix more white to my solution to make a lighter blue, and sponge that on. I let that dry and then follow it all up with a layer of white that covers the whole side.

Chad Hughes
03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Your Auntie Martha's discus are beautiful!

mmorris
03-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Thank you! LOL
Auntie Martha

FLGirl1977
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks! :)

BTW, that sponging technique looks awesome too! I never would have thought of that, but I really like it! :)

Yassmeena
03-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Yes - VERY nice!!!

Yassmeena
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I used the sponge technique on a few of my tanks. I mix white and blue to my taste, sponge the blue onto the tank, let it dry, then mix more white to my solution to make a lighter blue, and sponge that on. I let that dry and then follow it all up with a layer of white that covers the whole side.

Wow - that looks great! Unfortunately I can't paint the back because the tank is already up and running, anchored to the wall! lol

Yassmeena
03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I just took the advice on here and went to Lowe's and bought the light blue insulation board. I put it on my tank last night. Looks just fine, nice and light but being it is 1/2 inch thick, my Aqua Clear doesn't sit all the way down on the rim of the tank with it. It does still work though so I'm not worried about it.

In the past, I also just painted my own backbround and used a sponge as mentioned in another post. Used diff. colors and it turned out great! My tank is 125 gallons and already up and running so I can't paint it. The Lowe's insulation will due until my sister makes me a cool background for it. It was easy to cut and put up plus I like the insulation it gives since my tank is against a window and it's been zero degrees most of the winter!!

It's hard to believe that fish stores still have the same old backgrounds and why doesn't the manufacturer make a light blue one?? One would think that by now, there would be some "new" and different looks in their backgrounds but they look the same as they did years ago.

Hi Anna,

I have styrofoam on the back of my tank too, probably the same kind as you, but mine is white.

I was told that proper use for insulation would require that the metallic side face the tank, so that's how mine is oriented.

As for your filter problem, if you orient yours like mine, you can actually cut out a section of the styrofoam for the HOB. I cut out only the white foamy part while leaving the metallic sheet untouched so that my filter tubes have grooves to seat into.

I have a background between the insulation and the tank.

seanyuki
03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
hi Martha,

Nicely done on those backgrounds....must learn from U lah.:D.

Cheers
Francis:)

seanyuki
03-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi Yass,

Instead of painting....i just use strofoam as backgrounds...change the colour every six months..more fun to it...doing some renovations to my small fish room soon.

Cheers
Francis:)

Patr1ck
03-04-2009, 04:45 PM

That looks really good.

Pat