PDA

View Full Version : rooting pictures for kirkp

Eddie
03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Just wanted to post pics of the rooting plants for Kirk since he asked.

The plants are Hooded Dwarf elephant ears. Dizkuz has some monstera deliciosa in his tank so I decided to try a similar elephant ear. This HD elephant ear roots like crazy! It has already had 3 leaves spout out in just a week.

I also have a baby monstera deliciosa attached but it's very small and the roots havent started taking off yet. I will get pictures in a month or so.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/plants/IMG_1332.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/plants/IMG_1331.jpg

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Very nice approach to a planted tank Eddie! That's one way to keep plants in the mix, but out of the way of keeping that tank spotless!

aquadiva
03-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Cool rooted plant, I like the look!

Anna:sun:

Eddie
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Very nice approach to a planted tank Eddie! That's one way to keep plants in the mix, but out of the way of keeping that tank spotless!

LOL, yeah I guess so. Plus I don't need to use any C02 or fertilizer. These things just take off on their own. Hopefully we won't have a plant umbrella in our foyer. LOL Actually, that would be kind of cool.

Me too Anna, I have some manzanita probably arriving today or tomorrow to gave an even better impression of rooting plants and branches.

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
LOL, yeah I guess so. Plus I don't need to use any C02 or fertilizer. These things just take off on their own. Hopefully we won't have a plant umbrella in our foyer. LOL Actually, that would be kind of cool.

Me too Anna, I have some manzanita probably arriving today or tomorrow to gave an even better impression of rooting plants and branches.

Eddie

Typically plants above the water line do not require CO2. They get it from the air. It is interesting that it does so well without any fertilizer though. I know you change your water daily, do there are zero nitrates as well. It literally has no food other than whatever minerals are in your water. You must have rather neutral water I'm guessing.

Looks great!

Eddie
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Typically plants above the water line do not require CO2. They get it from the air. It is interesting that it does so well without any fertilizer though. I know you change your water daily, do there are zero nitrates as well. It literally has no food other than whatever minerals are in your water. You must have rather neutral water I'm guessing.

Looks great!

Yup, very neutral. There is probably some evidence of nitrates by the end of the day. Feeding all day long comes after my WCs. I feed my fish first thing in the morning, do a WC and then continue feeding them all day. Then, they don't get another WC until the following morning.

Thanks

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Eddie,

If you don't produce the first 12" discus in the world I am going to be disappointed! You must go through about a pound of food a week! LOL!

Good for you!

Best wishes!!!

Eddie
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Eddie,

If you don't produce the first 12" discus in the world I am going to be disappointed! You must go through about a pound of food a week! LOL!

Good for you!

Best wishes!!!

LOL, its all about the cards that the discus get dealt. I'm giving them the best of water and food so now it's up to them. I know my discus from Forrest will get big. My LFS discus are doing as best as they could. They may not get too large but they are growing well. We shall see LOL

Eddie

DiscusDude85
03-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Thats really cool Eddie. I like that look alot. I will have to look into getting some of that.

Joe

Eddie
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Thats really cool Eddie. I like that look alot. I will have to look into getting some of that.

Joe

Yeah, thats what I thought too. The idea came from Danne (Dizcuz). He has some Monstera Delciosa in his tanks that looks amazing.

Thanks Joe

Eddie

mikel
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
hay Eddie!!! Did you have a chance to go back to that hardware store with the gigantic discus? Or did I miss your pics? I want to see them 10 inchers!!!!Mike

Eddie
03-03-2009, 11:00 PM
hay Eddie!!! Did you have a chance to go back to that hardware store with the gigantic discus? Or did I miss your pics? I want to see them 10 inchers!!!!Mike

Still haven't made it Mike, got last minute notice that I am deploying for a month and I leave first thing next week so I've been super busy trying to get ready for processing. :(

Eddie

kirkp
03-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the post. Also wondering how you suspended them in the tank. Also, what are the submersed plants are on the right side of the picture?

One idea I've had kicking around in my noggin for years was to build a plexiglass trough that would be supported from the top of the tank on the front and sides. The thought would be to have the discharge from a filter go into the trough at one end and overflow into the tank at the other. Basically a hydroponic system. It could probably work but most likely only on a open top tank or at least this would seem to be the most likely.

Either way, yours looks great.

Later,
Kirk

Eddie
03-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the post. Wondering what the submersed plants are on the right side of the picture?

One idea I've had kicking around in my noggin for years was to build a plexiglass trough that would be supported from the top of the tank on the front and sides. The thought would be to have the discharge from a filter go into the trough at one end and overflow into the tank at the other. Basically a hydroponic system. It could probably work but most likely only on a open top tank or at least this would seem to be the most likely.

Either way, yours looks great.

Later,
Kirk

Thanks Kirk, the plants under water are giant Anubias.

Your thing could work with a glass top since there is a about 2 inches at the back you can have open or use the plastic strip to cover the gap.

Eddie

kirkp
03-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks again Eddie,

Wondering a couple of things. Is your tank open top? Also, how did you suspend those plants in the tank?

Kirk

Eddie
03-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks again Eddie,

Wondering a couple of things. Is your tank open top? Also, how did you suspend those plants in the tank?

Kirk

Nope Kirk, the tops are Perfecto Glass tops and I slid a heater suction cup down the plant stalk until it was snug and then attached the cup to close to the rim of the tank top. This keeps the plant upright and the roots straight down.

HTH
Eddie

Roxanne
03-04-2009, 02:57 PM
That reminds me of Brew's tanks, I think it's a philodendron he's got growing all over his with the roots in the tank...nice compromise between BB and planted;)

Eddie
03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
That reminds me of Brew's tanks, I think it's a philodendron he's got growing all over his with the roots in the tank...nice compromise between BB and planted;)

Thanks Rox, philos are definitely used alot. Carol Roberts used to have them all over her tanks. I loved that look also. Plants rooting in the water just looks brilliant to me. The fish love it too.

Take care,
Eddie