PDA

View Full Version : Deworming duration

antpal01
03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I am doing a precautionary deworming of my fish. I purchased liquid piperazine today form Petco(dog dewormer) which I have seen people use in food. I believe i saw Basshead speak of good success using this. basshead - correct me if i am speakign out of turn.

i soaked some mysis and bloodworms in it for a few hours this afternoon. drained the piperazine, then fed to the fish. all ate it well.

should I repeat the treatment again tomorrow/ in 3 days/ in 7 days/ or something different?

any other guidance is appreciated, as well.

thanks for the insight.
Ant

Eddie
03-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey Ant, I feed them the soaked food 2 times a day for 5 days and nothing else. Exclusively feed them the soaked food only during the 5 days. I do one feeding in the AM and one feeding in the PM.

Eddie

antpal01
03-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Eddie, sounds good. soaked food 2x/ day for 5 days. got it. Appreciate the quick reply!
Ant

Eddie
03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Eddie, sounds good. soaked food 2x/ day for 5 days. got it. Appreciate the quick reply!
Ant

;)

BABYJIZAY
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Could I feed med this to my whole tank? Plecos, loaches, and tetras too?

Eddie
03-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Could I feed med this to my whole tank? Plecos, loaches, and tetras too?

ah, I have heard a few conflicting issues with smaller fish such as rams but they survived. Just acted differently is what I was told.

Eddie

BABYJIZAY
03-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!! Do you do this treatment only when visible illness is present, or as a preventive measure? I have a mixed shipment coming in, and everyone will be going in the same tank. Looking for the easiest way to treat the discus without having to qt them separately.

Eddie
03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!! Do you do this treatment only when visible illness is present, or as a preventive measure? I have a mixed shipment coming in, and everyone will be going in the same tank. Looking for the easiest way to treat the discus without having to qt them separately.

Preventive, rid them of nematodes and the road will be nice and smooth. ;)

Eddie

Yassmeena
03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Preventive, rid them of nematodes and the road will be nice and smooth. ;)

Eddie

So how often might someone considering doing this preventative treatment?

Eddie
03-04-2009, 10:46 PM
So how often might someone considering doing this preventative treatment?

Thats a personal preference really. I don't feed my fish anything except my seafood mix and flakes. If the fish had nematodes and they were dealt with, not often.

I now do this every three months. Many will say there is no reason. It really depends on the stock. The fish I got from Forrest, one time and thats it. The tanks with wild caught heckels, once every three months. I have my fish on flake so I use deworming flake from Angel Plus instead of the piperazine citrate (dog dewormer).

Eddie