PDA

View Full Version : What's the best type of pellets/flakes to feed?

fishfrenzy
03-04-2009, 12:56 AM
I already feed them a shrimp mix and FBW, but if i was to choose btwn pellets and flake to add to their diet, which one would it be? Which brand is best?

rickztahone
03-04-2009, 01:05 AM
which is best i can not say but i use ocean nutrition prime reed flakes and new life spectrum pellets

Eddie
03-04-2009, 04:57 AM
Ocean Nutrition Brand Flake, I don't use pellets.
- Prime Reef
- Discus Flake
- Formula One
- Brine Shrimp Plus

HTH
Eddie

kirkp
03-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I agree with Eddie. My fish love the ON flakes. I also feed a different brand of brine shrimp flakes that they devour but I bought them in bulk and not sure of the brand. I also feed Tetra Color Bits which they devour as well. Some have expressed a concern regarding bloat with these due to the bits swelling in their stomach but I've never had a problem due to feeding them in moderation.

Kirk

Eddie
03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
I agree with Eddie. My fish love the ON flakes. I also feed a different brand of brine shrimp flakes that they devour but I bought them in bulk and not sure of the brand. I also feed Tetra Color Bits which they devour as well. Some have expressed a concern regarding bloat with these due to the bits swelling in their stomach but I've never had a problem due to feeding them in moderation.

Kirk

I would probably feed pellets if I didn't have a few hogs in my tanks. They eat all the pellets and quick too. I've had to take a few fish out and hit them with epsom salt and I ain't doing that no more. No more pellets for my guys.

Eddie

poconogal
03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I feed a variety of pellets and flakes. For pellets - New Life Spectrum, Tetra Bits and Sera Granules Regular and Blue. My Discus like the Tetra Bits the best, but they also like the others. I've never had a problem with bloat even though they eat all of the above with gusto. It looks to me like the Tetra Bits are the ones that expand the most in the water though. The Sera Granules may be the best of the bunch, and the fish certainly produce MUCH less waste when eating them. Flakes - ONF1, Omega One, and different flakes from Steve at www.angelsplus.com - Vitamin Plus, Meateaters, etc.

FLGirl1977
03-04-2009, 11:13 AM
See below post

FLGirl1977
03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Ocean Nutrition Brand Flake, I don't use pellets.
- Prime Reef
- Discus Flake
- Formula One
- Brine Shrimp Plus

HTH
Eddie

I use ON Brine Shrimp Plus...

BTW, if you use any pellets, it's best to soak them before feeding them to reduce the amount of expansion in their stomachs.

poconogal
03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't soak mine. I tried that years ago and found it was very messy, the Tetra Bits just sort of floated apart. Probably the key is to not overfeed any type of food, especially pellets. I don't find the Sera Granules and New Life Spectrum really expanding very much at all though.

brewmaster15
03-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Ocean Nutrition Formula one pellets, 1mm size is my main commercial food.

hth,
al

ShinShin
03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
I like the 4 ON flakes mentioned, but perfer Pro Grow's Growth and Color pellets as my favorite pellet. ON's Formula 1 pellets are okay, too.

Mat