PDA

View Full Version : barebottom?

BootDink
03-04-2009, 07:00 PM
im in the process of setting up a 90 gallon show tank in myliving room and i thought that i ws gonna gonna go ahead with a bare bottom show but i am still contemplating. If it is at all possible can some of you post full tank shots of your bare bottoms? i havnt seen to many full tank shots of the bb and would like a little more assistance in my choice lol VERY VERY VERY hard decision here!!

thanks alot!

Runningfish
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I cannot post pictures of my bare bottom tank at the moment, but I can give you the pros and cons.

Cons
-Without enough hiding places the fish will tend to jump more
-The aquarium can seem plain at some times (in my opinion)
-Cannot have plants that need a substrate
-harder to clean sometimes

Pros
-A ton easier to clean the aquarium
-You tend to focus more on the fishes color
-The fish look larger (in my opinion)
-From easier cleaning the fish may become healthier

I don't know if this helps, but I have the same problem when disciding if a tank should be bare bottom or not too. If it is a show tank I tend to lean towards the planted, or at least with some wood/cones. Some of the reasons above are from what I think of when I have a bare bottom so they are more of an opinion. Sorry about that, just wanted to cover it all.

White Worm
03-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Heres an example, Paint the bottom a sandy color and the back a medium color with some driftwood and potted plants.

White Worm
03-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Heres one with sand

White Worm
03-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Better pic

BootDink
03-04-2009, 07:33 PM
i have all the equipment to setup planted (c02 tank etc) only thing is finding the time to start setting all up. I work 5-5 every weekday and when im off im rather exhausted and seem to have enough work on my hands with my current discus tank(water changes etc)I would love to start a planted but hmmm..the possibilites are to damn endless when it comes to this lol..

thanks!

White Worm
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Hmmm, planted?

Eddie
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
im in the process of setting up a 90 gallon show tank in myliving room and i thought that i ws gonna gonna go ahead with a bare bottom show but i am still contemplating. If it is at all possible can some of you post full tank shots of your bare bottoms? i havnt seen to many full tank shots of the bb and would like a little more assistance in my choice lol VERY VERY VERY hard decision here!!

thanks alot!

BD, if the fish are juveniles, there should not be anything to contemplate, BB is the best way. You can make it a planted/substrate tank after they have become adults/larger.

Eddie

BootDink
03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
this is gonna be a rediculously hard choice? im gonna need some more bare bottom setups i think.. im really aiming towards the bare bottom just because of simplicity in them, and i actually like the look of nothing? if thats understandable lol.. but then again im all for challenges and i LOVE gaining knowledge of everything that has to do with aquariums thus bringing me to the planted section..I find thats one of the real reasons i keep aquariums is simply to learn the biology of things.Not saying i know lots but i like to think im fairly keen on things...

hmmmm?

BootDink
03-04-2009, 07:54 PM
BD, if the fish are juveniles, there should not be anything to contemplate, BB is the best way. You can make it a planted/substrate tank after they have become adults/larger.

Eddie

the fish i will be buying are all adults, large 5-6" eruptions, leopards.. your "high" end fish basically..the bank breakers! lol i have a tank now with 6 juvi's 2-4.5" with just a substrate and two plants that seem to be some how staying alive.

Eddie
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
the fish i will be buying are all adults, large 5-6" eruptions, leopards.. your "high" end fish basically..the bank breakers! lol i have a tank now with 6 juvi's 2-4.5" with just a substrate and two plants that seem to be some how staying alive.

Then I would go planted/substrate then BD.

The juvenile fish though, it's not a matter of survival, its a matter of growing them to adult size. ;)

Eddie

poconogal
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Here's a couple of my tank. I always had gravel, decorations etc. and I hated BB tanks, but the ease of maintenance has converted me. I haven't found my Discus to startle or jump more in the BB tank either, as someone suggested.

rickztahone
04-02-2009, 01:48 AM
hey BootDink, i know this is late but i wanted to share my BB. i was looking for a pic but couldn't find one but here's a vid which is much better IMO because you get the full view. let me know if it works or not. hope you haven't already added substrate.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/th_fishtank.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/?action=view&current=fishtank.flv)

Chad Hughes
04-02-2009, 06:08 PM
This picture is pretty old, but the fish in the tank were around 2 - 2.5" when the setup was established. I can say that the growth is a bit slower in this tank due to only 3 daily feedings, but growth did occur regardless. Since you have adults, you should only choose what you prefer. What appeals most to you? I love planted tanks!

Best wishes!

fishyj
04-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi bootdink, wanted to show you pics of a bare bottom wit bottom of tank and back painted. When I first thought about these fish I wanted sand bottom and all the works. I was convinced that bare bottom was the best route to go. I'am glad in my case I listened. Much easier to clean and you can still dress up the tank with items. This is coming from a person that always had substrate and everything else in my tanks. I don't think I will ever go back to that kind of tank unless I have adults and a show tank. All my future tanks will be bare bottom. There is a before and after pics.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/fishyj_2008/100_0636.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/fishyj_2008/100_0061.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/fishyj_2008/000_0004.jpg

billyboy
04-21-2009, 08:20 PM
This picture is pretty old, but the fish in the tank were around 2 - 2.5" when the setup was established. I can say that the growth is a bit slower in this tank due to only 3 daily feedings, but growth did occur regardless. Since you have adults, you should only choose what you prefer. What appeals most to you? I love planted tanks!

Best wishes!

hi there i saw your thank. i just have 150 gallon new tank. for sure it will be planted tank. no mtter what happens . this tank will be planted . i am trying to find the RIGHT sand for mine. i saw yours i think it has very thin kind of sand. where did u get it from and what kind is that. they say with planted and sand it is very difficult to adjust ph....etc.is it true. thanks for your help