PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass ok?

Yassmeena
03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of custom making a plexiglass pot to add some plants to my BB.

Is plexiglass safe for the discus tank - i.e. will it somehow leach toxins or harm my discus?

Thanks!

Yasmin

salth20
03-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Plex is fine. Many aquariums and filter systems are manufactured from it. After assembly, leave it set for some time to dissipate any residual fumes/vapors, give it a rinse, and go. Have you considered glass pots? I saw a tank once, I'd guess 5' long with 6 or so round bowl type pots, each with a huge amazon sword. An interesting display, easily removable for plant maintenance, just different.

Yassmeena
03-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Plex is fine. Many aquariums and filter systems are manufactured from it. After assembly, leave it set for some time to dissipate any residual fumes/vapors, give it a rinse, and go. Have you considered glass pots? I saw a tank once, I'd guess 5' long with 6 or so round bowl type pots, each with a huge amazon sword. An interesting display, easily removable for plant maintenance, just different.

Thanks for the tip - I did actually. I am now thinking to buy a 4" high flat sheet of plexiglass and glue it in (w/aquarium safe silicome) to create a retaining wall along the entire length - perhaps 3.5" wide - for plants.

Has anyone tried this?

Eddie
03-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the tip - I did actually. I am now thinking to buy a 4" high flat sheet of plexiglass and glue it in (w/aquarium safe silicome) to create a retaining wall along the entire length - perhaps 3.5" wide - for plants.

Has anyone tried this?

Sounds very cool Yas, can't wait to see it. I love those types of ideas!

Eddie

Yassmeena
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds very cool Yas, can't wait to see it. I love those types of ideas!

Eddie

Thanks Eddie - I'm super excited about it! I'll post pictures as I progress thru this new project of mine!!! :D

Greg Richardson
03-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Yasmin. Some thoughts...........

Discus burnout happens at some point and time for most every one.

So what ever you build try to think about how you will go about maintaining it?

Is it easy to get to that part of the tank?
Are you using pots? Size?
If pots what will be the cleaning routine between them?

Not asking for answers justysomething for you to consider in case you missed anything.

I think that project might be really cool looking.
Bring pictures when you done.

Before you know it you'll be making custom tanks for SD members!