PDA

View Full Version : how many?

nike12301
03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Hello.

I just finished cycling my 36 gallon tank.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to put in it. I'm really, really interested in discus. I know they need to stay in groups - would 36 gallon be big enough?

If so, how many would I need? and how many total could I keep?

I know 55 gallon is usually recommended, but is 36 possible?

Chad Hughes
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Depends on how old your discus will be when you buy them....

Adults, 4-5 with water changes twice a week, feedings twice daily.

Juvies (2"), 5-6 with daily to every other day large water changes, feedings 4 to 5 times daily.

Just my opinion.... you will get other recommendations.

Best wishes!

rickztahone
03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
i would say just an adult pair. if you get a lot of discus you will have to move some to another tank later down the line

Chad Hughes
03-05-2009, 05:43 PM
i would say just an adult pair. if you get a lot of discus you will have to move some to another tank later down the line

That is true.. If you have a pair, get ready for fry! ;)

nike12301
03-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the response.

I thought they needed to be in groups of about five.

Just a pair is okay?

What other fish can live with discus if I get just a pair?

mmorris
03-05-2009, 06:09 PM
You would need to buy a breeding pair, not just two discus. Otherwise, I don't recommend less than six and so a 55 gal. is the minimum, IMO.

Chad Hughes
03-05-2009, 06:11 PM
5 is the recommended number... for 50 gallons.

A pair will be fine, as they are a pair. I like to add neon tetras to show tanks, SAEs, corey cats, some people add plecos. I do not advocate plecos though for several reasons. Any smal not too energetic fish that meet your water perameters will work!

Chad Hughes
03-05-2009, 06:11 PM
You would need to buy a breeding pair, not just two discus. Otherwise, I don't recommend less than six and so a 55 gal. is the minimum, IMO.

Good point about the "breeding pair"! I guess I just assumed that. LOL!

nike12301
03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks again.

So I couldn't do a group of maybe 4 or 5 in my 36 gallon?

I know a group of 6 in 55 gallons is optimal. But would 4 in a 36 gallon tank be unhealthy?

I woulnd't do it if it's bad for the fish, but I really like discus so I want to try to figure out if there's any way I can have them before I go in another direction.

Chad Hughes
03-05-2009, 06:52 PM
It's not that you can't it's just not ideal. You would have to perform daily to everyother day large water changes (like 80 to 100%). Once they get bigger, you will definately have to get a bigger tank. They will probably out grow this tank within 4 months.

Eddie
03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
4 in 36 is not the way to go, neither is 3. As recommended, a breeding pair would be fine but thats it. Unless your have very young discus (basically fry) you could put six in there but if you are properly feeding them and doing the required WCs, they will out grow that tank QUICK.

Get a bigger tank. There would be plenty of negatives impacting the growth of your 4 or 3 fish in a 36. Proper development will not be attained.

Eddie

mmorris
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
There are two issues to consider. Firstly, you need a minimum number of discus to provide security and to spread the aggression around. People usually agree that the minimum number is 5 or 6. IMO 5 is too few. Groups that are too small creates stress and then health issues. Secondly, you need a tank that is large enough for 6 discus. The general rule of thumb is 10 gal. per adult fish, and so a 55 gal. is barely large enough. There are those who will tell you that you can put more adults in a smaller tank and then just pay strict attention to the water. People with a lot of experience can get away with it, but they, IMO, should not be suggesting it to a beginner to discus.

frenchie100
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I completely agree with you Martha. I saw a huge difference in my fish behavior from them being in a group of 5 and then adding 2 more. They were way less skiddish once I added 2 more discus. I would never have less than 6 ever again!

thebigone
03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Discus like to stay in groups of 6 to 8. Rule of thumb on discus is 1 adult discus per 10 gallons of water. Like everyone else has told you I'm sure, that you can break that rule depending on your filtration and very large water changes very often. I agree with everyone else as well, a 36 gallon would be good for a breeding pair but I would go nothing smaller than a 55 gallon with 6 discus but this is all my opinion.

scottthomas
03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree that 4 fish in a 36 gallon is not ideal. However, I do have 4 adults in a 29 gallon right now because we are remodeling in our house and I had to take down 4 of my tanks. They have been getting along fine so far (2weeks) without fighting much. I wouldnt suggest that you do this... I probably have just been lucky so far. See if you could trade someone for a 55 gallon tank.

Scott