PDA

View Full Version : heaters/filters

Palue
03-05-2009, 09:54 PM
What brand is a good 200 watt heater??

Which type of filter is most desired for a discus tank cannister or HOB and please list the brand??

:angel:

Eddie
03-05-2009, 10:25 PM
What brand is a good 200 watt heater??

Which type of filter is most desired for a discus tank cannister or HOB and please list the brand??

Although there have been some issues with Eheim Jagers, I use them and they have not failed me yet, KNOCK ON WOOD. They don't actually match the setting you set them to always, you have to kind of mess with it until you get the desired temp and once it is set, it will stick to it. It has for me every time. Some complain about it creeping up or down but I have not had this issue. I have close to a dozen of them and about to order another half dozen so I would recommend them. Thats just me though. They do an excellent job for me.

HOB, many use a Aqua Clear HOBs or Eheim cannister filters. I believe Eheim is the way to go with a canister. I do however have a marineland that works very well also that is about half the price of an Eheim. I have not had any issue with it yet and it is super easy to clean.

HTH
Eddie

Palue
03-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Eddie, what size of a HOB Aqua Clear would you put on a 46 gal??

Right now I am running my 200 on there it is rated for up to 50 gal but should I go bigger??

:D

Eddie
03-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Eddie, what size of a HOB Aqua Clear would you put on a 46 gal??

Right now I am running my 200 on there it is rated for up to 50 gal but should I go bigger??

:D

I like 2 modes of filtration, whether it be 1 HOB with an additional sponge or a canister with an additional sponge. I feel it is such a necessity to have an additional seeded sponge filter in an existing tank at all times. It helps in case of quarantine, any new fish, and in the future....breeding. :D

Why don't you throw a Hydro IV or III in there in the back?

Eddie

Palue
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM

Okay, excuse my lack of knowlege what is that you are talking about??

Eddie
03-06-2009, 12:25 AM

Okay, excuse my lack of knowlege what is that you are talking about??

Sorry...:o. They are simple sponge filters. They run off an air pump.

http://www.aquacave.com/hydro-sponge-filters-10.html

Eddie

Palue
03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks Eddie,

I would love a Canister oneday, they are much more quiet than the HOB. I also don't care for the way the HOB pour back into the tank, don't know if that is better than a canister with the spray bar??

My only reservation of a canister is the horrifying story to come home and fine a 46 gal tank emptied on the livingroom floor. I would just die.

ShinShin
03-06-2009, 12:30 AM
I have some old green Ebo's that I bought back in the mid 90's that still work. I also have some of the black series that I have had some problems with. These aren't that old. I just ordered to Stealth's to try out. I have heard good feedback on them.

I am strictly a sponge filter person myself.

Mat

Eddie
03-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean unfortunately. I have 2 canisters that I just started using and one has been completely flawless, no issues. Now, the second one which is on my wife's tank.....well, lets just say I did not connect the hose correctly to the canister and I moved the canister one morning and......BLAM, half the aquarium all over the dining room floor, not even kidding. It was my fault that I didnt ensure the hose was super secure by yanking on it. That sucked too, we have hard wood floors. :(

Eddie

Palue
03-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I am strictly a sponge filter person myself.

Even in a planted tank with sand bottom??

My tank is not for breeding purposes its a display tank for us to enjoy the discus.

Palue
03-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Eddie,

With these sponge filters do they produce bubbles??

Are they hooked up to an air pump, they look like they are quite wide where they would be hooked up to. I am not familiar with these things at all. I have never seen them but I can order them, what do you all need to make them work?

Eddie
03-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Eddie,

With these sponge filters do they produce bubbles??

Are they hooked up to an air pump, they look like they are quite wide where they would be hooked up to. I am not familiar with these things at all. I have never seen them but I can order them, what do you all need to make them work?

Sponge filters work off a source of air typically from a pump. The size of the pump is important to provide enough air to ensure the filter works correctly. For your tank, you could get a pump rated for 30 gallons if you are only powering that one filter. Maybe even a 20 depending on the brand and where you place the pump. You will also need to buy some standard airline tubing to connect the air pump to the sponge filter. That is all you need.

Eddie

fishyj
03-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Another good filter imo are the emperor 400 hob and for a canister I have had good luck with my fluval 304. Both are easy to work on and the hob has the bio wheels on it also I can change pads in seconds.

rickztahone
03-06-2009, 03:09 AM
i guess it's because the xp3 is all i have to go off as far as filters go but i do not think i will go with any other. they are super easy to maintain, stays primed and the price tag is not bad at all.