PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Bilbo_wh
03-06-2009, 06:52 AM
I couldnt find the welcome or introduction part so I will post here.

Hi I am renewing my interest in Discus. I kept a few pairs 5 years ago and by good luck I managed to spawn them once and grow out 20 to adulthood.
I ended up loosing them all over the folowing 2 years to what I now know as HITH or some simillar disease.
This time before I make the investment in the fish I wanted to make an investment in knowledge first. They are far to expensive here to get it wrong and I dont feel like wasting $500 - $1000 on a setup that will fail not to mention killing what are probably the best fish in the hobby.

Forgive me up front for what ever stupid newby questions I ask during my stay here.

Thanks all

Bilbo

Eddie
03-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Glad to meet you Bilbo and welcome to Simply! I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate events that happened. I hope that you will find everything you need here on the best Discus site!

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Welocme back to the discus hobby!

fishman1978
03-06-2009, 05:30 PM
if you love discus your going to love this site. thay make discus keeping easy.I want to thank all of you I read every day it's like my church. lol

Bilbo_wh
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys.

I have been given the chance to get 4 x 5cm babies this week and I have the tank ready to go. Looking forward to getting started.
3 x Alenquer Red and a Blue Turq.

I think the blue turq is a bit stunted from poor condidtions.

Tank bare bottom with filtered rain water
29c
pH 6
25 - 30uS. Hope thats not to soft.
Live food White worm, red worm and daphnia cultures ready

Chad Hughes
03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
30 uS is too low for baby discus. You need to improve that to at least 200 uS. 30 uS is even pretty low for breeding. You have incredibly soft water!

Best wishes!

Elite Aquaria
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Welcome to Simply...:D

No such thing as a stupid question...;)

I agree that your water is very soft...I breed in 80-100 uS. How stable is your PH and is your tank cycled?