PDA

View Full Version : Sump Pump

DiscusKeeper403
03-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Hello,

I have a spare 29 gallon tank I want to use as a holding tank for water changes. I am going to stop taking it straight from the tap.

The spare tank is set up about three or four feet away from my main tank, what should I use in order to siphon the water from the holding tank into the main tank? (keep in mind I am terrible with this plumbing stuff so try to keep it in layman terms please) I was thinking a sump pump with tubing at the end long enough to reach the tank.

What do you guys think?

Eddie
03-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello,

I have a spare 29 gallon tank I want to use as a holding tank for water changes. I am going to stop taking it straight from the tap.

The spare tank is set up about three or four feet away from my main tank, what should I use in order to siphon the water from the holding tank into the main tank? (keep in mind I am terrible with this plumbing stuff so try to keep it in layman terms please) I was thinking a sump pump with tubing at the end long enough to reach the tank.

What do you guys think?

Or any submersible pump with flexible tubing would work. Some even use simple powerheads.

Eddie

DiscusKeeper403
03-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Oh ya know I never thought of using a powerhead. Would I simply just attach tubing to the out take?

Eddie
03-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Oh ya know I never thought of using a powerhead. Would I simply just attach tubing to the out take?

Yup ;)

KDodds
03-08-2009, 08:35 AM
A Maxijet 1200 will work with simple ½" ID diameter tubing. For filling from only a 29g tank, anything more elaborate would kind of be overkill. It should take no more than a few minutes.

DiscusKeeper403
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
A Maxijet 1200 will work with simple ½" ID diameter tubing. For filling from only a 29g tank, anything more elaborate would kind of be overkill. It should take no more than a few minutes.

Thanks for the info. Approx. what is size tank is that powerhead rated for? If I cannot find that exact model I would buy something that's going to turn around the same amount of water.

grandrapids9
03-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi, I have a 55 tank for holding water in the closet a few feet from main tanks, a planted 90 and a 30 grow out tank. I use an Aquaclear 70 (same as Hagen 802). Works perfect. Pick up some clear hose to go over end, it fits tight, just take the plastic air intake on the outlet of the pump and cut it of. I have been doing this for many years.

DiscusKeeper403
03-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi, I have a 55 tank for holding water in the closet a few feet from main tanks, a planted 90 and a 30 grow out tank. I use an Aquaclear 70 (same as Hagen 802). Works perfect. Pick up some clear hose to go over end, it fits tight, just take the plastic air intake on the outlet of the pump and cut it of. I have been doing this for many years.

Awesome! I am pretty sure I have seen AquaClear 70s before, so I should be able to get my hands on one or something of a similar size.

Thanks for all the info!!

KDodds
03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info. Approx. what is size tank is that powerhead rated for? If I cannot find that exact model I would buy something that's going to turn around the same amount of water.

295pgh is memory serves correctly. The Maxijets worked better against head pressure (pumping up) than most other PHs, including the AC/Hagens. However, I've also used the AC/Hagen PHs, with good results. If the air intake is a problem, it's better to plug it than do anything else to it. Simply use some epoxy putty.