PDA

View Full Version : discus with white clouded eyes...

in2spd
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I have a quaratine tank that is 25 gallons and have 3, 4 inch total length discus in it at present time. I have treated the fish with prazipro then ended up using clout pills as a deterant from potental diseases. I had to leave for 2.5 days and the fish did not get fed. When i came home i wanted to put the fish into my 120 gallon tank as i though they were que'd long enough but, when i came home one of the disc's had white cloud spots over the center of it's eyes, they were both clouded over with it white in the middle. I had feed them last night and once this am and the white has almost gone away, but what am i up against what is happining and what should a do??? The fish looks very healthy.

Chad Hughes
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
If you left 3 4" fish in 25 gallons of water for nearly 3 days witout a water change, that's what is wrong with the eye. I bet you changed water when you got home and It's clearing up, right? That tank is too small to be used for that many large fish. One fish with daily to every other day water changes is about all you can afford there. Had you changed the water daily in that tank you might have been OK. With clean water they shold be fine.

Best wishes!

in2spd
03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes i do change water every second day but, 3 fish 4 inch total length in a 25 gallon quaratine is about what it should be from what iv read..??????? I know leaving them not to eat for 2.5 days is not the best but then that should not effect water quality as much as there are less pollutants??? I really dont know just what i thought. But back to the eyes why did that happen and what was it???

Chad Hughes
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Cloudy eye is associated with poor water quality. A 25 gallon tank is about the right size for one fish in QT. The feeding is not so much of an issue. Did you happen to check your water parameters when you go tback? I'd be curious to know what they were. What kind of filtration were you running?

Best wishes!