PDA

View Full Version : Aquaterra background experiences?

Patr1ck
03-10-2009, 04:25 AM
All of you who have had experience with those aquaterra 3d backgrounds please post them here. Anybody have problems with them fading or the paint coming off? What about plecos doing damage to them? Feel free to post all opinions on them. They look really cool.

Thanks,
Pat

KDodds
03-10-2009, 07:56 AM
These are the "backgrounds" that go in the tank, right? IME, they're almost as bad as UGF filter plates for catching and trapping detritus. If the goal is to avoid nutrient sinks, these backgrounds should be avoided.

poconogal
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I have no experience with these backgrounds, but I've read many reports of detritus getting trapped behind it and being a nightmare to clean. I'd avoid them.

captain morgan
03-11-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree with the members above, also heard they are outrageously exspensive and they take up valuable tank space, but they are nice to look at- in someone else's tank!

FLGirl1977
03-11-2009, 10:00 AM
I had a Pangea background in my Tropheus tank and not only does poop get behind the background... debris ends up on the background as well, so if you want 'crystal-clear' water, I would advise against it. I love the way they look, but they can be a pain... HTH...

ApacheDan
03-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Does anybody knows of any type of 3-D type of background that can be installed behind the tank and outside the water? that would be a good solution...if it is not too thick or at least flexible enough to allow the hanging of accesories such as tubes, outside filters....hummmm good business idea!:D

KDodds
03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
About 30 years ago, PennPlax made 3Ds that went outside (they looked 3D, too, but bulged away from the tank, obviously). If they're not made any longer, you still might be able to find some "antiques" on e-bay. ;)

ApacheDan
03-11-2009, 12:55 PM
all this just remind me of a nice project I did years ago....go to your local hardware store & get interlocking tiles that look like stones/pebbles. Just glue them to the backwall of your tank, filling all empty cracks with black or other colored silicone. The results I got where great.....too bad I used the wrong silicone & killed my fish :mad:

You live, you learn...make sure it is 100% aquarium silicon and the background will be spectacular. The 3D effect is great & they will hold flat, occupying just a tile's width worth of space. No debris should collect, if you fill all cracks correctly with silicon.

tpastrana
03-11-2009, 01:25 PM
What a great topic!! I have been wanting these type backgrounds for a while now, Great info thanks everyone!! I really hate my background now, plain blue boring :(. Plus it is now starting to get water behind it from me not putting it on properely I assume. Every time I look at my tank I see the water spots and say the same thing... That looks like s*@t!!!! But the tank is too heavy to move out and rip the stupid thing off to refit it. The plan was if I move the tank out from against the wall I would change the background to something different, just cant figure out exactly what I want. Typical woman!!! :p

poconogal
03-11-2009, 02:29 PM
It's too bad those 3D backgrounds aren't good for cleaning the tank, they really do look cool.

T, I just bought on Ebay a brighter blue background that sticks onto the outside glass. You have to wet the glass with a bit of soapy water solution and then apply the background. Since it sticks to the glass it can't get splashed water between it and the tank when the darn Discus decide to make a puddle! What I really liked about it was that it was sold pre-sized for my 75 gal. tank so no measuring or cutting. Have I put it on yet? No. Will it be on by the time I visit you? Prolly not. I'm going to save all my projects for the spring/summer when you guys come over so that you can help me or I'll never get the stuff done, LOL!!!!

tpastrana
03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
LoL Lol that is funny!!! Send me the link to where you bought it from, Maybe I will get one so when you come up to visit, you & the hubby can help me move my tank and get it on there.....;)

It's too bad those 3D backgrounds aren't good for cleaning the tank, they really do look cool.

T, I just bought on Ebay a brighter blue background that sticks onto the outside glass. You have to wet the glass with a bit of soapy water solution and then apply the background. Since it sticks to the glass it can't get splashed water between it and the tank when the darn Discus decide to make a puddle! What I really liked about it was that it was sold pre-sized for my 75 gal. tank so no measuring or cutting. Have I put it on yet? No. Will it be on by the time I visit you? Prolly not. I'm going to save all my projects for the spring/summer when you guys come over so that you can help me or I'll never get the stuff done, LOL!!!!

Patr1ck
03-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I found this one that is only 3/4" thick. It might be able to be installed so that it can be removed easily for cleaning. It being flat, I would guess, would keep alot of the poo from accumulating behind it and not taking up as much tank space . Maybe could be put on behind the tank.http://aquariumhabitats.com/MessaFlatRock.html
Heres some more pics of the mesa flatrock.
http://www.aquaterra-intl.com/gallery.html
There is also one from Hagen that I read about in another thread.

Pat

KDodds
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
A few years back, I knew several people who were experimenting with "shadow box" type backgrounds. They built frames, a 5-sided box, to hang on the outside of the tank and "filled them in" with a diorama-like effect. Some, well, didn't work so well. But, others came out amazing. I suppose you really could take one of those backgrounds and build a box around it and hang it outside the tank for virtually, if not completely, the same effect. As long as there is no light poking in from the sides, the difference between outside and inside the tank should be minimal to nonexistent.

Patr1ck
03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
A few years back, I knew several people who were experimenting with "shadow box" type backgrounds. They built frames, a 5-sided box, to hang on the outside of the tank and "filled them in" with a diorama-like effect. Some, well, didn't work so well. But, others came out amazing. I suppose you really could take one of those backgrounds and build a box around it and hang it outside the tank for virtually, if not completely, the same effect. As long as there is no light poking in from the sides, the difference between outside and inside the tank should be minimal to nonexistent.

Do you know of anywhere I could find pics of these?

Thanks,
Pat

KDodds
03-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately, the only pictures I remember seeing, or rather where I saw them, were on a now defunct web forum, Aqualink.