PDA

View Full Version : Filter Media for FX5

theteflondon
03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
i had an established tank and moved my old fish to a new tank, i now would like to do a planted discus tank its a 105 gallon with an fx5 for a filter. I am wondering what you guys think about filling the fx5 with bio balls as my filter media as well as the sponges that surround each basket. Let me know if this is a good choice im not looking at having discus anytime soon i would like to have successful plant growth first. thank you in advance for your advice.

cyberhog05
03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Bio balls yes. But ceramic rings have more surface area to grow more bacteria. But than again a FX5 is one heck of a filter for a 105gal. Are you talking the sponges that come with the FX5 or something else? I would defiantly place a finer filter media before your main media to catch all of the plant debris that you will suck into your filter. I have found that plants are a freaking mess when you first put them in their home, and then move them and move them and move them.:D

theteflondon
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah I'm talking about the sponges that come with the fx5. Should I add polishing pads to each basket? That would be able to catch plant debris. I also have a fluval 405 connected to the tank its filled with ceramic rings.

cyberhog05
03-12-2009, 12:05 AM
In the beginning I would definatly run a polishing pad or maybe a pad that is not as fine as a polishing. It may clog quickly. I was completely amazed at the amount of stuff in my canister after just a few days. But I cant keep my hands out of the tank. It will be a lot easier for cleaning by just doing a pad of some sort. Rather than having leaves and stems wrapped all around your bio balls and rotting in there causing your water to go bad

IMO I would put one before all of the media. Let it collect it all.

theteflondon
03-12-2009, 08:19 AM
So I need to look for a sponge the same consistency as the spongers that wrap around each tray and it has to be round. Any idea where I could find that?

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I use the FX5 as well. The bioball idea is probably only going to offer half (or less) of the surface area that the ceramic media would offer for colonization of nitrifying bacteria. Bioballs are basically meant for large sumps that have room for gallons of bioballs. This many will not fit in the FX5 obviously. If you want to use the FX5 for biological filtration, I'd stick to ceramic. It's all I use in mine and it's FULL! Every tray is stacked to the very rim with ceramic media.

I would not use filter pads, especially polishing pads, in the bio media trays due to the fact that it will clog in a week. I tried it. The FX5 can go for a month or more without losing flow. Now, when you clean it after a month or so, it'll be nasty, but that nasty is performing a job too! It's chock full of good bacteria. You just have to rinse the sponges off from time to time to maintain flow.

If you don't need the FX5 for biological filtration and just want a pricey water polishing filter, pack the FX 5 with filter floss and fire it up! Filter floss (bulk) comes in all sorts of densities and it CHEAP! Compared to the Fluval brand precut polishing pads, you'll go for a year on some bulk floss for 1/4 the price. Hope this helps!

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I use the FX5 as well. The bioball idea is probably only going to offer half (or less) of the surface area that the ceramic media would offer for colonization of nitrifying bacteria. Bioballs are basically meant for large sumps that have room for gallons of bioballs. This many will not fit in the FX5 obviously. If you want to use the FX5 for biological filtration, I'd stick to ceramic. It's all I use in mine and it's FULL! Every tray is stacked to the very rim with ceramic media.

I would not use filter pads, especially polishing pads, in the bio media trays due to the fact that it will clog in a week. I tried it. The FX5 can go for a month or more without losing flow. Now, when you clean it after a month or so, it'll be nasty, but that nasty is performing a job too! It's chock full of good bacteria. You just have to rinse the sponges off from time to time to maintain flow.

If you don't need the FX5 for biological filtration and just want a pricey water polishing filter, pack the FX 5 with filter floss and fire it up! Filter floss (bulk) comes in all sorts of densities and it CHEAP! Compared to the Fluval brand precut polishing pads, you'll go for a year on some bulk floss for 1/4 the price. Hope this helps!

Best wishes!

do you use the sponges that that surround each tray or do you fill that space with ceramic noodles as well?

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I use the sponges that go around the trays. You've got to have something to catch debris. Other than that, it's all ceramic.

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
THATS GREAT!!! THANKS SO MUCH! One more thing... do you put your ceramic noodles in media bags or fo you just let them sit in the tray?

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I use ceramic mediat that is bigger than the holes in the tray. If you are using media that is smaller than the holes in the tray, you may want to put it in a mesh bag to keep it from falling through. If it's bigger, then just fill up the tray!

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all of your help does anyone know where I could buy the ceramis noodles in bulk?

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm a bit of an Ebay person. Check this out. Not a bad price for 1 lb, plus free shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.com/454g-Bio-Ceramic-Ring-For-Canister-Pond-Filter-Media_W0QQitemZ170309657273QQihZ007QQcategoryZ2075 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Me too! Thanks again for everything!:D

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 11:06 AM
;)

sp33dy25
03-12-2009, 12:42 PM
i use biostars with my Fx5
i ve had ceramic rings clog up my filter
but if i had known how heavy it was b4 buying it
i would have got 2 xp3's.
now i would get 2 xp4's

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
i use biostars with my Fx5
i ve had ceramic rings clog up my filter
but if i had known how heavy it was b4 buying it
i would have got 2 xp3's.
now i would get 2 xp4's

Are you trying to lift it full of water? If so, use the drain plug at the bottom to remove the water before moving it. It's pretty light for it's size!

Best wishes!

sp33dy25
03-12-2009, 01:05 PM
haha yea but its not a problem for me,
i was just comparing it with 2 xp3's and xp4's
IMO i think my xp3 works better than my fx5

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Never used an XP3 or 4 for that matter. I love the FX5! ;)

sp33dy25
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
i love my fx5 too !
its just i had to replace my 404. and at that time the 405 was just released and for some reason the price spiked up. so i picked up a xp3 on sale for 80$ and i was just amazed at how much EASIER and better it was compared to my 404....
(same time i picked up the Fx5)

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I keep hearing people say that they are easier. Same with Ehiem. What is easier about it? I have no experience with these filters. All of the fluvals, IMO, are simple. I can't imagine it getting much easier. LOL!

sp33dy25
03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
its as simple as the fx5.
not the 405, 305 and ....
i just got so frustrated with the 404....and im sure there are a few out there that knows what im talking about. if you dont get it just right it goes click click click click click...
xp3- no hassles ever.

Chad Hughes
03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Interesting! I have a 405 on a 110 tall and the only problem I have ever had with it was the impeller cover wearing out. I replaced it for like $12 about three weeks ago after two years of continuous use. One trick that I have learned withthe 405 is to never allow the intake and exhaust hoses out of the water if you have to prime the filter.

For instance, If I have to clean the filter I make sure that the tank is full covering both intake and exhaust ports. I close the valve at the pump and take off the hoses with the quick disconnest. I pul the filter and do what I have to do. When I connect it back up and open the valve, it floods the filter and the prime is complete. I plug it back in and off it goes!

That's just my way. Like I said, never had problems so to speak. Sorry to hear that it's given you fits!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
the rena's are easy to deal with but you really can't compare it IMHO to the fx5, it is in the same class as the ehiem. while i love my xp3 and love how easy it is both the eheim and the fx5 provide better filtration. i like that the xp3 does stay primed and you do not have to pump to get it primed. also, the baskets are easy to take out and fill up and put back in without having to worry about putting them in the wrong way. they were made with simplicity and easiness to operate in mind. i can't compare them side to side since i only have 2 xp3's but on paper the fx5 and the eheims out-class them. again, many might not agree but i know what i have and know how easy it is to operate. just don't forget to plug it back in when you do maintenance, doh! ( http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69552 )

theteflondon
03-12-2009, 03:59 PM
how heavy what is?

sp33dy25
03-12-2009, 04:28 PM
the rena's are easy to deal with but you really can't compare it IMHO to the fx5, it is in the same class as the ehiem. while i love my xp3 and love how easy it is both the eheim and the fx5 provide better filtration. i like that the xp3 does stay primed and you do not have to pump to get it primed. also, the baskets are easy to take out and fill up and put back in without having to worry about putting them in the wrong way. they were made with simplicity and easiness to operate in mind. i can't compare them side to side since i only have 2 xp3's but on paper the fx5 and the eheims out-class them. again, many might not agree but i know what i have and know how easy it is to operate. just don't forget to plug it back in when you do maintenance, doh! ( http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69552 )

sorry i didnt mean to make it seem that i was comparing them side by side.
xp3 and fx5.... xp3 only good up to 110 gallons while the fx5 is good up to 450 gal? i forget.
i was only speakin from my xperience. i had fx5 in a 90 or 100 gal tank. worked great ! but then i picked up a 140 gal tall tank. and decided to stick the fx5 in that tank. then i stuck the xp3 in the 90 -100 gal tank.. i noticed it kept the tank cleaner,

theteflondon
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey Chad,

How many pounds of the ceramic noodles do you think fit in all 3 trays? I was thinking I would buy 4 or 5 lbs of it. Do you remember or can you estimate how much you have?

Thanks,
Don

Chad Hughes
03-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Don,

Good question. I have never weighed the media. I would be willing to bet that 1 to 1.5 lbs in each basket would be fine. So, 4 lbs? I'm guessing. It never hurts to have the media on hand if you end up with extra. It doesn't expire!

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your help I think I will get 5lbs and save the rest if i have extra. Im not sure if I asked this already but how often do you change your sponges? I do it every three months normally should i change that with discuss keeping?

Chad Hughes
03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your help I think I will get 5lbs and save the rest if i have extra. Im not sure if I asked this already but how often do you change your sponges? I do it every three months normally should i change that with discuss keeping?

I only change the sponges when they fall apart. I clean the sponges in regualr tap water about once a month. They get pretty nasty at the one month mark, but all that nasty has a lot of great bacteria in it! I just run the faucet over them and squeeze until I can see a somewhat clean sponge. Typically squeeze until the water running off the sponge is clear.

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Interesting! I have a 405 on a 110 tall and the only problem I have ever had with it was the impeller cover wearing out. I replaced it for like $12 about three weeks ago after two years of continuous use. One trick that I have learned withthe 405 is to never allow the intake and exhaust hoses out of the water if you have to prime the filter.

For instance, If I have to clean the filter I make sure that the tank is full covering both intake and exhaust ports. I close the valve at the pump and take off the hoses with the quick disconnest. I pul the filter and do what I have to do. When I connect it back up and open the valve, it floods the filter and the prime is complete. I plug it back in and off it goes!

That's just my way. Like I said, never had problems so to speak. Sorry to hear that it's given you fits!

Best wishes!

I saw that you have a 110 tall, I think we have the same tank is your tank 48" wide 18" deep and 30" tall? If so is this the tank you have your plants in? Everyone is convinced that because of the depth of my tank I wont be able to successfully grow plants I bought a pretty serious fixture. its a t5 8 lamp x 54w high out put fixture and I have 8 6500k bulbs do you think I could be successful?

Chad Hughes
03-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I saw that you have a 110 tall, I think we have the same tank is your tank 48" wide 18" deep and 30" tall? If so is this the tank you have your plants in? Everyone is convinced that because of the depth of my tank I wont be able to successfully grow plants I bought a pretty serious fixture. its a t5 8 lamp x 54w high out put fixture and I have 8 6500k bulbs do you think I could be successful?

Yes, we have the same tanks and mine is planted, CO2 injected, etc. I have 1/2 the light that you are using and I have great results. You'll do fine!

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks you have no Idea how confident you made me! I dont have CO2 injection yet I was going to make my own with a yeast mixture is that what you have?

Chad Hughes
03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I started with the DIY yeast method years ago but got tired of the weekly remixing. Although a litle pricey at the beginning, pressurized is by far the easiest! A 10lb tank lasts a year and costs less than $20 to fill. I like that it's hands off, automatic. With your high light, you'll likely have to look in to some fertilization as well. You'll have a beautiful tank though! Remember to keep your photo period to 8 hours, no more!

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I started with the DIY yeast method years ago but got tired of the weekly remixing. Although a litle pricey at the beginning, pressurized is by far the easiest! A 10lb tank lasts a year and costs less than $20 to fill. I like that it's hands off, automatic. With your high light, you'll likely have to look in to some fertilization as well. You'll have a beautiful tank though! Remember to keep your photo period to 8 hours, no more!

Best wishes!

really i have had the light on for 12 hours a day i should lower it to 8?

thebigone
03-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I have something called Matrix in two of my baskets in my FX5. I bought them from PetSmart. I would use the Biomax ceramic rings for the other basket. HTH.

sp33dy25
03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
is it true that fx5 output for a 120 tank "too much current" for discus?

theteflondon
03-13-2009, 07:20 PM
I have something called Matrix in two of my baskets in my FX5. I bought them from PetSmart. I would use the Biomax ceramic rings for the other basket. HTH.

Josh,

I looked at petsmarts website i searched for matrix nothing comes up... what does is do for the tank?

Thanks,
Don

sp33dy25
03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Josh,

I looked at petsmarts website i searched for matrix nothing comes up... what does is do for the tank?

Thanks,
Don

look up seachem products..they make a matrix biomedia
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Matrix.html

my friend recommended this site to me
http://www.homeofpapas.org/

theteflondon
03-13-2009, 08:13 PM
look up seachem products..they make a matrix biomedia
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Matrix.html

my friend recommended this site to me
http://www.homeofpapas.org/

ok so what does this matrix stuff do that the ceramic noodles don't?

sp33dy25
03-13-2009, 08:37 PM
ok so what does this matrix stuff do that the ceramic noodles don't?

ehh....:confused: i just seen that item b4 . never picked it up and looked at it.

sorry.

is it true bio-stars work waaaaaaayyy better than ceramic bio?

Chad Hughes
03-14-2009, 12:54 AM
really i have had the light on for 12 hours a day i should lower it to 8?

If you kep it over 8 in time you will likely see algae. You could give 12 hours a shot, but it migh get ugly.

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-14-2009, 07:02 AM
If you kep it over 8 in time you will likely see algae. You could give 12 hours a shot, but it migh get ugly.

Best wishes!

Thanks, I was only doing it for 12 because everyone was doubting plant growth because of the depth of the tank. I lowered the timer to 8 hours a day accept for weekends i set it to 12 hours I want to be able to enjoy seeing the tank on weekends... Maybe I will do it with half the light on weekends i have the ability to turn off half the bulbs. Should I do that considering I am going almost double the time?

p.s. my wife thanks you she was very concerned about the electric bill lol :D

theteflondon
03-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey Chad,

I saw in your profile that you have a website do you breed discuss? If so could you sell them? I know your in San Diego I don't even know how it would go for shipping it considering I am minutes from New York on the opposite side of the country. I did read a lot about finding a trusted breeder for discuss because a lot can go wrong. Is it possible to ship discuss across country?

thebigone
03-14-2009, 10:14 AM
sp33dy,
Matrix also helps in clearing and polishing up your water as well as a good place to colonize bacteria. I am really big on seachem products. They seem to be really good. HTH

Chad Hughes
03-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks, I was only doing it for 12 because everyone was doubting plant growth because of the depth of the tank. I lowered the timer to 8 hours a day accept for weekends i set it to 12 hours I want to be able to enjoy seeing the tank on weekends... Maybe I will do it with half the light on weekends i have the ability to turn off half the bulbs. Should I do that considering I am going almost double the time?

p.s. my wife thanks you she was very concerned about the electric bill lol :D

12 hours on the weekends would work. I like to watch my display nmore on the weekends too. 8 hours (on timer) for the weekdays is best IMO.

Hey Chad,

I saw in your profile that you have a website do you breed discuss? If so could you sell them? I know your in San Diego I don't even know how it would go for shipping it considering I am minutes from New York on the opposite side of the country. I did read a lot about finding a trusted breeder for discuss because a lot can go wrong. Is it possible to ship discuss across country?

Thanks for checking out the website. YOu are actually the first one from this site to admit that they looked. LOL! I do breed discus and am in the beginning stages of seeting up a full hatchery. I currently do not have discus in stock ready for shipment. I could ship to you when I do though. I just picked up some discus this morning that came all the way from N. Carolina. Discus ship very well with the right packaging and care. You must be reading some good sources of information. It's extremely important to find a trusted breeder. There are a few sponsors on here that sell discus. I'd pursue them before venturing outside the forum vendors. It seems that most discus breeders are on the East coast, so that's a good thing for you! Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help!

Best wishes!

theteflondon
03-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I am going to sound really stupid right now i have seen this acronym in so many posts but have no idea what it means... What does "IMO" mean?

Chad Hughes
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Trust me, it took me a while to get it all figured out. IMO is simply an acronym for "in my opinion". The one that took me the longest to figure out was HTH (hope this/that helps). LOL!

Best wishes!

sp33dy25
03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
is it only me...
im against ceramic bio "stuff"
i only use the bio stars

rickztahone
03-17-2009, 03:14 AM
is it only me...
im against ceramic bio "stuff"
i only use the bio stars

i use ceramic rings in both of my xp3's and they work fine. better than bio balls IMO. i haven't tried the bio stars so i can not compare