PDA

View Full Version : CaribSea Eco-Complete with what other substrate?

ilaizm
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi,

If you had to use CaribSea Eco-Complete as half the substrate in a tank what other substrate would you add to it to fill it up?

Thanks

KDodds
03-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Easy. Eco-Complete. :) Question, why do you want to mix substrates? For instance, smaller grains, color?

ilaizm
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Just came back from the only LFS who sells CaribSea Eco-Complete and the guy suggested using a mixture with another substrate he had (I think it was pea gravel). His argument was that using just CaribSea Eco-Complete would make it too rich.

CaribSea is quite expensive here and I need aprox. 8 bags for my 85G tank to fill it up so if I can mix it with some other substrate then i'll do that.

KDodds
03-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Too rich for what purpose? Is this to be a planted tank? What is the footprint on the 85? My 135 took only 10 bags of Eco-Complete Red to get a 3" base, footprint is 72"x18". I'm thinking you probably needs 2/3 of that, or less.

ilaizm
03-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Yes definitely a planted tank. The footprint is 60" by 19". So you would still go with Eco-Complete as the only substrate in tank?

KDodds
03-13-2009, 08:19 AM
This is from Carib-Sea tech. supp.:

"I would use around 85lbs. / cubic foot. In this case you will need 2 ¼ cubic feet or about 193 lbs. I would go with 200 lbs. for good coverage. Unfortunately we do not offer a bulk size as it is water packed and bigger bags, than 20 lb, tend to burst. We are offering a brand new product: Floramax midnight in 40 lb bags. This is the same core material as Eco Complete but does contain a bit larger particle size as well as some red material. It may be a good answer for a base for you though. I would check with your local retailer to check as to the possibility of special ordering. If you need help requesting the product at a particular retailer please drop me a line."

60"x19"x3" = 3420 cu. in./1728 = ~2 cu. ft. So, 8 bags, 160lbs. should be just fine all by itself. Are you saying you want to use less than 8 bags? If so, you might want to look into landscaping or garden centers for crushed lava or something of that nature. It would be a good fill in, is fairly inexpensive, and is pretty much the same as Eco-Complete, without the "cycled water" in the bag. Mixing in pea gravel or any other substrate of a different consistency would, to me, be a little off and asthetically unpleasing. You might also consider going with ONLY crushed lavarock. If you have any garden centers/nurseries that also deal in bonsai, finding this material might be a whole lot easier.

Emilio
03-13-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't mean to upset anyone here but for me Eco Complete is a rip-off. $25 for 20 lbs. bag....it's just to much money for gravel when you can use regular gravel with the same results.

Yassmeena
03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't mean to upset anyone here but for me Eco Complete is a rip-off. $25 for 20 lbs. bag....it's just to much money for gravel when you can use regular gravel with the same results.

Are you saying this because you have actually done a comparison and know the results are the same?

KDodds
03-17-2009, 07:37 AM

Have to agree with Yassmeena, Eco-Complete is not gravel, nor is it even remotely the same as traditional (i.e. non-porous) aquarium gravel. Eco-complete is more like varying grades of crushed lava-rock or other porous grained soil-like mixture, but nothing like traditional colored or natural gravels. Nor are colored or natural gravels conducive to the thriving of most rooted plants. Flourite (or similar) gravels would maybe be a better comparison, but Eco-Complete does not break down the way these products do, and so does not require removal.

cyberhog05
03-19-2009, 12:58 AM
what about cheap silica sand and root tabs? Or cheap pea gravel or any fine rock substrate with root tabs?

Am I under the wrong impression as far as root tabs usefulness?

KDodds
03-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Root tabs are fine for plants that take up nutrients mostly from their roots. Plants like hornworts, etc., don't do this and take nutrients from the water column. Of course, the form of substrate chosen for these plants really wouldn't matter much, if at all. To encourage healthy, fine, rooting, though, you want something better than pea gravel. Sand is okay, but can become compacted over time, as well as cemented together if there are anoxic areas and no sand turning organisms, and is, initially, difficult to plant. This is one of the main reasons why most planted tank enthusiasts go with a Flourite, Eco-Complete, or similar planting medium. Flourite and other clay or clay-like substrates will break down over time, and need to be replaced. Eco-Complete will not, which is probably why it is in such high favor amongst many at the moment.