PDA

View Full Version : Grow out question

blkrob
03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I have 2 pair and 8 4" juvi's in a 135g moderately planted tank. I have 6 4" juvi's and 8 smaller juvi's. The slow growers in a 90g 2 potted playsand bottomed tank.

So, I was thinking I'd like to move the pairs to the smaller tank and either the 6 larger juvi's or all the juvi's the the larger tank. Does this seem like an alright idea? I really what the juvi's to reach a decent size and maybe pair off.

I don't want to make this to long a read. My water parameter are good, I do 70% wc in the 90g 3x a week and 80% 1 x a week in the 135g. I have no problem increasing wc in either tank. Wifey is not going to let me get another tank right now.

Any and all ideas and input will be taken into consideration.

Thanks,
Robert

Eddie
03-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Your question is pretty confusing but it sounds to me like you want to keep the pair secluded. Just put a divider in the tanks.

Eddie

blkrob
03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks Eddie.

I was trying to make the question short which probably didn't help at all. My ADD doesn't help unless I'm at work. I want to give my juvi's the best opportunity to grow. I only have 2 tanks to accomplish this. I thought if I moved all the juvi's to the larger tank this would give them more room to grow. Also the juvi's are from 2 sources. I was hoping that they may pair off with each other if they were combined.

I have 2 pair in the larger tank already. Since they have already paired off. One pair has produced free swimming fry before. I would put them in the smaller tank. If they continue to grow, it would be slightly.

I ready hope this makes more sense. Thanks again.

Robert

Elite Aquaria
03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Are the Juvies in the same tank right now? If not have you QT them? I do not like to mix fish from 2 sources until they have been QT for at least 6-8 weeks. If you already have done this then move all your Juvies into the 135G tank and move your pairs into there own breeding tank. This means you will need one more 20-29 gallon tank. If you want max growth make the 135G a bare bottom tank and feed heavy and do daily or every other day water changes of at least 50%. I do 70% daily sometimes even up to 90% but I have good water that does not harm the fish. You will need to check your water before I would recommend this approach.

I do not like to mix fish of different size in the same tank...the larger ones will get most of the food. 3.5" to 4" would be fine but 2" to 4" I do not mix.

Eddie
03-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Are the Juvies in the same tank right now? If not have you QT them? I do not like to mix fish from 2 sources until they have been QT for at least 6-8 weeks. If you already have done this then move all your Juvies into the 135G tank and move your pairs into there own breeding tank. This means you will need one more 20-29 gallon tank. If you want max growth make the 135G a bare bottom tank and feed heavy and do daily or every other day water changes of at least 50%. I do 70% daily sometimes even up to 90% but I have good water that does not harm the fish. You will need to check your water before I would recommend this approach.

I do not like to mix fish of different size in the same tank...the larger ones will get most of the food. 3.5" to 4" would be fine but 2" to 4" I do not mix.

Exactly what Dan said. ;)

Eddie

blkrob
03-14-2009, 03:59 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I gonna divide my 90g and place the pairs in there. Until I can talk the wife in another tank.

I'm not going to be able pull off the bare bottom 135. I'm will do things a bit differentlty the next time. Once again thanks for the input guys.

Robert