PDA

View Full Version : Juvies and lighting

fishyj
03-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi all, Have a question reguarding lighting on a tank. With my juvies they seem to hide when the lights are on and get more active when off. I have a single strip total 80 watts of light on my 125. What I did was took 1 bulb out and kept the other side on. Are they doing this due to the brightness of the tank with a whitish background and bottom or are they just skittish and will out grow it?

Eddie
03-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi all, Have a question reguarding lighting on a tank. With my juvies they seem to hide when the lights are on and get more active when off. I have a single strip total 80 watts of light on my 125. What I did was took 1 bulb out and kept the other side on. Are they doing this due to the brightness of the tank with a whitish background and bottom or are they just skittish and will out grow it?

Sounds to me that they are just skittish now and will become more comfortable when they get settled in. ;)

Just wanted to add that it will be better to have the lights on so they will become used to it.

Take care,
Eddie

fishyj
03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Since being a first time owner of these, notice their not like your typical fish. Learning as I go about these guys.

Eddie
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks, Since being a first time owner of these, notice their not like your typical fish. Learning as I go about these guys.

Definitely not your typical fish they are the King of Aquarium fish. Everyday you spend with them is a learning experience. ;)

Eddie

fishyj
03-13-2009, 11:55 PM
I'am begining to think they don't like me.:( Maybe because of the cleaning and water changes. Hopefully they will outgrow this.They eat just fine after I feed them and leave them alone. A few are coming more to the front so will see what happens. I know when I got them they were coming to the front and top of tank at Mikes house. Probably will just take time to adjust.

Eddie
03-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I'am begining to think they don't like me.:( Maybe because of the cleaning and water changes. Hopefully they will outgrow this.They eat just fine after I feed them and leave them alone. A few are coming more to the front so will see what happens. I know when I got them they were coming to the front and top of tank at Mikes house. Probably will just take time to adjust.

Yeah man, just time. They are fine. ;)

They are just getting used to you. Right now I am deployed and my wife is taking care of my fish. She says that the fish are giving her the stare of death and don't look happy with her. That is because they are used to me taking care of them. ;)

Eddie

fishyj
03-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Could water movement from my filters be causing this? Thanks for the help. Hope you get back home soon.

Civic
03-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Eddie,

Your wife's doing the 100% water change? :D

-ian

Eddie
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Eddie,

Your wife's doing the 100% water change? :D

-ian

Ian I wish! She is doing twice a week 50% and feeding only twice a day. Its gonna cost me though! :D

Jim, what type filters do you have? Water movement can sometimes stress the fish out but it really depends on if there is no slow current areas.

Eddie

fishyj
03-15-2009, 03:47 AM
Have an emp 400 hob rated for 400 gallons per hour, up to 80 gallon tank and a fluval 304 also for a 70 gallons , and 2 sponge filters.

Eddie
03-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Have an emp 400 hob rated for 400 gallons per hour, up to 80 gallon tank and a fluval 304 also for a 70 gallons , and 2 sponge filters.

That shouldn't be too much movement but your fish are very small if I remember correctly. How big are your fish?

Eddie

fishyj
03-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Some are quarter size and some almost half dollar size. Heres a couple of pictures.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/fishyj_2008/100_0097.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/fishyj_2008/100_0098.jpg
I know I have some current in tank because any uneaten food and poo ends up in a pile in the center of tank. With the lights off though they are coming up and swimming by surface and throughout the tank. Moved the heaters half way up so they don't hide by them anymore.

Eddie
03-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Some are quarter size and some almost half dollar size. Heres a couple of pictures.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/fishyj_2008/100_0097.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/fishyj_2008/100_0098.jpg
I know I have some current in tank because any uneaten food and poo ends up in a pile in the center of tank. With the lights off though they are coming up and swimming by surface and throughout the tank. Moved the heaters half way up so they don't hide by them anymore.

With discus at a quarter size, you may have too much current going. I always used sponge filters with discus that size.

Eddie

fishyj
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll try cutting back on the filtration. I'll take the canister filter off and try that. The only thing that bugs me is every morning they are swimming all over until the lights come on then its back toward the bottom of the tank.

Eddie
03-16-2009, 08:49 PM
I'll try cutting back on the filtration. I'll take the canister filter off and try that. The only thing that bugs me is every morning they are swimming all over until the lights come on then its back toward the bottom of the tank.

Maybe they just need time. If you plan on running the filter, leave it, they need to get used to it. If the lights bother them, leave them on. The fish will become acustomed to their environment. If you get them comfortable with the lights off or the filter off, thats the only time they will be comfortable. Make them comfortable the way you want to see them. It takes time.

Eddie

fishyj
03-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the help. I got nothing but time. Some are getting braver than others and some just follow the leader.

rickztahone
03-17-2009, 03:00 AM
Maybe they just need time. If you plan on running the filter, leave it, they need to get used to it. If the lights bother them, leave them on. The fish will become acustomed to their environment. If you get them comfortable with the lights off or the filter off, thats the only time they will be comfortable. Make them comfortable the way you want to see them. It takes time.

Eddie

that is some really great advice there Eddie. i completely agree