PDA

View Full Version : ONLY BREED IN MAIN COMMUNITY TANK!

hohm44
03-14-2009, 04:44 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 discus and some rummynose tetras. the tank is planted. I have a pair that have layed eggs 5 times in the main tank, but everytime I put them in a bb breeding tank (20 gallon), nothing happens, and the male gets a bit aggressive towards the female. This time, I had them in the breeding tank for nearly a month with no results. Sure enough, after three days back in the main tank, they've laid eggs again! Any advice on what to do about this. The eggs have never hatched but they do stay dark for 2 days before turning white and dying. PH is 7.2, GH is 100 ppm, or 5.6dh. I would like to breed them in a seperate tank, for obvious reasons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Peachtree Discus
03-14-2009, 05:15 PM
put them in the breeder and add a dither fish. ...preferably something that you don't mind being beat up a bit.

above design
03-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I have been having the same problem. My pair layed once a week since November. I took them out three weeks ago and now nothing. I do water changes with cooler water because I read that stimulates spawning, but so far its not working. When you say add another fish does it have to be a Discus or can I throw in a ABN?

Thanks ,

- Mark

MostlyDiscus
03-14-2009, 05:23 PM
They seem to like the big tanks water. Do you WC for the breeder with your daily WC. Put the 20 gallon next to the 55 so that the pair can see thier old tankm8s. It takes time for breeders to adjust. Sometimes many months. GLGD

Ed

Peachtree Discus
03-14-2009, 05:37 PM
.... When you say add another fish does it have to be a Discus or can I throw in a ABN?

i only have discus, so i cannot say about an ABN....nor am i even sure what it is :p. regardless, i dont think it would have to be a discus. tho compared to a smaller darty swimmer, a larger fish is probably easier to guard against.

ShinShin
03-14-2009, 06:22 PM
A female sometimes takes time to adjust to another tank, maybe months. I have had this happen on occassion. I would put the female alone for awhile in the breeding tank if the male got too aggressive with her, like 10-14 days. I had a male that killed females. Then add the male and keep an eye on him.

Mat

above design
03-14-2009, 06:42 PM
A female sometimes takes time to adjust to another tank, maybe months. I have had this happen on occassion. I would put the female alone for awhile in the breeding tank if the male got too aggressive with her, like 10-14 days. I had a male that killed females. Then add the male and keep an eye on him.

Mat

Hey Mat,

My pair is fine together. No aggression at all. They just don't spawn since I seperated them 3 weeks ago. I have been using R/O water because I have really hard water. Do you think it would be okay if I slowly put my tap water back in until they spawn again? The reason I ask is I'm on town water and if I have to use R/O for months my wife is going to kill me! Also, have you ever tried throwing in another fish to try and get them to spawn?

Thanks, and I don't mean to hijack your thread hohm44 but we are kind of in the same boat here.

- Mark

ShinShin
03-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I have never tried the "tossing in another male to induce spawning" technique. Good males are hard to find, so I never wanted a possible good one getting beaten up. I've always subscribed to the thinking that discus ought to be kept in soft, acidic water, especially for spawning. Others, however, have had success with the domestics using less than ideal discus water.

Mat

hohm44
03-15-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm actually thinking of removing the three others to the breeding tank and leaving the pair in the main tank, just to see what happens?