PDA

View Full Version : how long do you keep BH in the tank before water change??

gotfish?
03-14-2009, 05:47 PM
it takes my 8 fish atleast 2 hours to completely finish a small cube of my own BH mix. how long do you let your BH mix sit before performing water change?

vss
03-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I cut my BH mix into bite size, and my discus usually finish them in 2 minutes. IMO 2 hrs is kinda too long.

Chad Hughes
03-14-2009, 06:40 PM
What I would do is feed them smaller portions more frequently. If they cannot eat it all within 15 minutes, then it's too much. I can feed about 16 discus an ice cube size portion of BH and it's gone in about 15 minutes. Hope this helps!

Best wishes!

mikel
03-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Take the frozen cube and a knife (old one you dont want, a regular table knife that goes with a dinner fork will do). let the cube thaw a little bit...like 10 minutes. Take the knife and scrape or shave from the side so you get thin slices in a layer. Then slice the stack of shaved slices in half....measure only as much as they will gobble in about 5 minutes. You will need to play with the amount. Toss into tank in a cross section sprinkle so the more timid fish can get some at various ends of the tank. Use a big net and net out all uneaten food immediately after about 7 or 8 minutes to maintain highest water quality. leaving food, especially Bh in the tank for 2 hours means you are allowing the uneaten food to pollute the water. . mike

Eddie
03-14-2009, 10:54 PM
2-3 minutes for me. Nothing gets left over and if it does something is wrong. Thats just me though.

;)