PDA

View Full Version : The rookies discus are about to spawn!!!!!!!

in2spd
03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Id like to go into detail but i want to watch what is happening.... We are sittin watchin a movie and notice the 2 discus out of 9 are cleaning the filter pipe with there mouths. I have a planted 120 gallon tank that i had 6 discus in there for 2 months, they are 4 to 4.5 total length disc's. I had got 3 disc's a couple of weeks after i got the original batch and que'd them for almost 6 weeks. I then put em in the 120 planted 6 day's ago with the other original 6. The two biggest disc's (5.5-6inch) total length finally met and were hangin out in the back right away. My tank is at 85 degrees and i have know idea whet i should be doing??? It is time to feed but should i or not?? i watched one of the pair rub up the pipe with it's anus but nothin came out. I also notice there anus have somethin purtrudin from them. Im going back to watch (not the movie) and will check back every half hour, any suggestion or tips would help. Also my light (13 hours) goes of at 11pm and its 8:30 now.:):):):):)

in2spd
03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I also could set up a tank (25 gallons) and remove the pair and put in a breedin cone and use the water from the planted and i have another disc tank that i could pull 1 of the 3 established filters i have in it. That though would seem stressful but i dont know???

Eddie
03-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I guess it depends on what you want to do. Do you want them to breed and are they a nice pair to breed? Meaning 2 strains that are compatible.

Some people say to remove them right away and throw them in their own tank. Most published reading will direct you to leave them to do what they do. Let them create a bond before moving them if they in fact a pair.

You should just do as you normally do, feed your fish, do water changes, whatever. Don't do anything different and let them 2 birds do what they want. You'll be able to tell if it is truly a pair if they lay eggs and they get fertilized. It could be 2 females and it could also be 2 males.

Just wait it out and watch your movie. ;)

Eddie

in2spd
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Wow....the fish laid 3 eggs then ate 2... ill be back, so cool

in2spd
03-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Ther has been around 150 eggs laid and the other fish what i presumed to be the mail didnt do much but watch. I just looked at my daily notes and noticed 2 days ago i did a 50% wc and forgot to plug the heater back in. The next day the temps got down to 78 degrees. Could this triggered the fish to lay eggs???

White Worm
03-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Cooler water has been known to trigger the breeding activity.

in2spd
03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I awoke in the morning to see all eggs gone, but have the pics as a memory, even my girl was excited and she doesnt think to much of me and the disc's as i now neglect her. Anyways the pair??? are still hangin around the spawn spot.