PDA

View Full Version : Weird Film On Top of the water.

theteflondon
03-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi all I just started a planted tank last week all my plants seem to be doing well I have a weird green film with a ton of mini bubble at the top of my water, what is it?

KDodds
03-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Probably just biomatter from decaying leaves. Are you experiencing die off of some leaves? Mostly outer, more mature leaves? This is pretty normal for a newly set up planted tank, especially when teh plants have been shipped out of water and/or bare root. Since you don't say whether or not you have a surface skimmer, the easiest thing to do to remove the film is to lay a stiff paper towel (like the brown recycled rolls in public bathrooms) across the water's surface and remove. To prevent recurrence, remove all dead plant matter as it appears, including any floating bits.

Harriett
03-17-2009, 02:18 PM
You need to install a mechanism to mildly agitate the surface of the water with either a skimmer or powerhead or spraybar or something--it is a natural occurance that a protein film will develop on still water. THe problem is that it seals the surface so there is no exchange of gases and the O2 level of the tank will really suffer....it's not necessarily because the tank set up is new, though it makes it worse--my 8 year old planted will still develop a surface film if I don't have a little skimmer doodad or spray bar going.
Best regards
Harriett

theteflondon
03-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Is it possible I have too much light going on here. My plants look good but my java moss looks like complete crap. Its all fuzzy some has turned brown it almost looks like something is growing on it. I am on week 2 here on week 1 I was doing 12 hours a day of light I was advised to cut it down because it was too much. so now week 2 is 8 hours per day accept on weekends witch is at 12 hours because i enjoy seeing my tanks on the weekends. My current light fixture is a t5 8 lamp x 54 w 6500k bulbs. Is this too much light? Should I cut more time or turn off 4 of the bulbs? I may have an algae bloom coming. If i do how do I get rid of it?

KDodds
03-19-2009, 08:48 AM
How deep is this tank? Are you dosing CO2? What kind of plants?

It seems to me that 8x54 T5s is WAY overkill for a 4' tank. Even on a 120, this is over 3wpg, and 3.6wpg T5 at that. That's a lot of light for low light plants like Java fern, Java moss, Anubias, etc. to be able to tolerate.

theteflondon
03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
How deep is this tank? Are you dosing CO2? What kind of plants?

It seems to me that 8x54 T5s is WAY overkill for a 4' tank. Even on a 120, this is over 3wpg, and 3.6wpg T5 at that. That's a lot of light for low light plants like Java fern, Java moss, Anubias, etc. to be able to tolerate.

my tank is 48" long X 18" wide X 30" tall I am making my diy co2 reactor this weekend I am distributing 4 wpg of light I thought that was optimal... I can turn 4 bulbs off if i want but then its 2 wpg. I got a bunch of amazon swords wich look great and i have a great java fern also looks great and a nice anubias also looks great my java moss looks like crap though i did a dose of fertilizer and now i have an outbreak of algae so i stopped dosing. CO2 is the only thing im not done making yet. Should i cut the time to 6 hours per day?

KDodds
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
4wpg T5s is only "optimal" if you've got a tank full of high light, fast growing plants AND you're dosing ferts and carbon (preferably via a CO2 canister system at the point of 4wpg) pretty heavily. All of teh plants you've mentioned are low to mid light plants. I'd cut off the 4 bulbs and leave the photoperiod alone. JMO.

theteflondon
03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
4wpg T5s is only "optimal" if you've got a tank full of high light, fast growing plants AND you're dosing ferts and carbon (preferably via a CO2 canister system at the point of 4wpg) pretty heavily. All of teh plants you've mentioned are low to mid light plants. I'd cut off the 4 bulbs and leave the photoperiod alone. JMO.

thanks ill try that and see what happens should i give up on the moss and get it new or could it bounce back?

judy
03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
it could bounce back if its at the bottom of the tank fully shaded by other plants.
I would also break up your photo period into a four and a six hour period with a two hour lights out in between.

KDodds
03-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Agree with judy, if it's in full light, "bouncing back" is improbable, but move it down where the algae (presumably the stringy stuff?) won't get enough light and you might be able to save it.

theteflondon
03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Agree with judy, if it's in full light, "bouncing back" is improbable, but move it down where the algae (presumably the stringy stuff?) won't get enough light and you might be able to save it.

The problem is I don't have any shady spots yet I am changing my gravel to sand on saturday I will have to play around a bit with the arrangment of everything.

theteflondon
03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
You need to install a mechanism to mildly agitate the surface of the water with either a skimmer or powerhead or spraybar or something--it is a natural occurance that a protein film will develop on still water. THe problem is that it seals the surface so there is no exchange of gases and the O2 level of the tank will really suffer....it's not necessarily because the tank set up is new, though it makes it worse--my 8 year old planted will still develop a surface film if I don't have a little skimmer doodad or spray bar going.
Best regards
Harriett
I pointed the fx5 return heads toward the surface of the water and already there is a HUGE difference and there isn't even that much movement but i guess its enough.

KDodds
03-19-2009, 10:06 PM
FYI, you can create shade with nylon screening. ;) Layer it if you need more shade.

theteflondon
03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
FYI, you can create shade with nylon screening. ;) Layer it if you need more shade.

where can i buy nylon screening? If i find it could i attach it to the light itself?

KDodds
03-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Any home store will carry it, like the stuff that's in the screen inserts for storm windows. Just make sure you get nylon or vinyl or something along those lines since metal will rust. I would not wrap it around the lights for risk of melting, or worse, fire. You can place it directly under the lights if they're lifted up even slightly and they're fluorescents (not MH, though). If you do not have a top on your tank that would facilitate this, you can use egg-crate to fashion a full or partial cover and lay or secure as much screening as you need onto the egg-crate. This, BTW, is a "trick" used quite frequently to acclimate corals that are newly acquired or to new lighting hardware.

GrillMaster
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
my tank is 48" long X 18" wide X 30" tall I am making my diy co2 reactor this weekend I am distributing 4 wpg of light I thought that was optimal... I can turn 4 bulbs off if i want but then its 2 wpg. I got a bunch of amazon swords wich look great and i have a great java fern also looks great and a nice anubias also looks great my java moss looks like crap though i did a dose of fertilizer and now i have an outbreak of algae so i stopped dosing. CO2 is the only thing im not done making yet. Should i cut the time to 6 hours per day?

Wow Donato...That seems like to much tank and to much light for DIY C02! I would try an get a C02 cylinder with a regulator if I were you. Or.... The plants you mentioned are low light plants and would do just fine with 2 wpg without C02... :)

theteflondon
03-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Any home store will carry it, like the stuff that's in the screen inserts for storm windows. Just make sure you get nylon or vinyl or something along those lines since metal will rust. I would not wrap it around the lights for risk of melting, or worse, fire. You can place it directly under the lights if they're lifted up even slightly and they're fluorescents (not MH, though). If you do not have a top on your tank that would facilitate this, you can use egg-crate to fashion a full or partial cover and lay or secure as much screening as you need onto the egg-crate. This, BTW, is a "trick" used quite frequently to acclimate corals that are newly acquired or to new lighting hardware.

The egg crate stuff sounds safer would I be able to find that at a home depot or some place like that?

theteflondon
03-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Wow Donato...That seems like to much tank and to much light for DIY C02! I would try an get a C02 cylinder with a regulator if I were you. Or.... The plants you mentioned are low light plants and would do just fine with 2 wpg without C02... :)

Well the DIY CO2 is temporary until I can afford a tank and regulator I Figured I have to get something in there asap.

KDodds
03-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, egg-crate is found, usually, with the fluorescent lighting.

judy
03-21-2009, 02:02 PM
or you could use it to build a little "beach umbrella"! wouldn't that be a hoot!!